Can smoking cause implants to become hard?

Hi, I stopped smoking before and after surgery. I am 9 weeks post op now. Recent events have caused stress which leads me to smoke. I'm worried though about the effects it may have. Since im 9 weeks post op is it safe to not harm the implants by smoking? Could they get harder if I smoke? Thank you

There is some evidence that cigarette smoking can result in an increased chance of capsular contracture or hardening of your breast implants.

At 9 weeks post op your smoking will likely not create problems with your healing as things should be pretty far along by now. I am not sure of any correlation between smoking and capsular contractures (which have a round a 10% risk of occurence). Smoking does cause heart disease, lung disease, and cancer, which are far worse than a capsular contracture but I am sure you already know that. You stopped before so you know you can do it again. 

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture from smoking

Hi KHampton,

Thanks for your question. At 9 weeks, your capsule is formed but it is still maturing. It is unlikely that it would increase your chances of getting capsular contracture. It may be possible but no current studies prove that fact. i have had many patients start smoking after surgery and they did not get a capsular contracture, but other patients have who did not smoke. Again, Infections, trauma or just bad luck cause it. Good Luck and try to quit again when your stress decreases.  

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@contracture @breastaugmentation @docmata #drcarlosmata

It is not likely that at 9 weeks you will cause any problems from smoking. Early on you can have wound healing problems but you are past that now. Good luck on you journey. Hope you quit smoking again someday. 

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

I don't know of any associate between smoking and capsular contracture which is the process that can make your implants feel hard.  There are however many studies regarding the other health issues created by smoking.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Will smoking cause capsular contracture.

We are not aware of any study which links smoking to capsular contracture. While smoking will not likely harm your implants be sure you consider all the health risk involved.

Smoking Post Op

Thank you for your question. At 2 months post your incisions & Implant pockets should be well-healed so although smoking does impair circulation and cause inflammation, it shouldn't impair your healing. Overall, it would be well-worth it for you to consider smoking cessation help. Talk with your family Doctor for advice.

All the best

Breast augmentation - can smoking cause capsular contracture?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• I am so sorry you are under such stress that you are smoking again.
  • I know of no studies showing a definite link between smoking and capsular contracture but -
  • Smoking causes inflammation in all parts of the body and inflammation causes capsular contractures.
  • If at all possible, find other ways to deal with your stress - I know it's hard.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS