Revision needed - 7 mos post op. Also considering upgrade. What should I expect cost wise, procedure, recovery? (photos)

I am seven months post BA. I had 415 cc cohesive gel smooth implants dual plane sub muscular placement For the last 3 mos I have been seeing a breast massage specialist trying to break down the scar tissue - to see very little improvement. I will be seeing my cosmetic surgeon this Tuesday to discuss my options. It is now very tight feeling and painful in my right breast. I am certain that at this point I will need a revision. Also considering upgrading to ccc. What should I expect cost wise?

Breast Augmentation Revision for ? Capsular Contracture?

The problem that you are describing sounds capsular contracture. Your photo shows increased upper pole fullness on the right side and this would be consistent with capsular contracture. It this truly is significant capsular contracture, breast massage will not correct the problem. Fixing this will require surgery. At minimum this would mean replacing the implant and releasing the tight capsule (capsulotomy), but you will probably better off with a complete removal of the capsule (capsulectomy).

The problem with capsular contracture is that once established it can be difficult to fix and the surgical correction is associated with a high risk of recurrence. For this reason it is much better to do everything possible to prevent the problem in the first place. There is no clear consensus on the treatment, but I would generally recommend a more aggressive treatment approach to minimize the risk of recurrence. You might also consider switching to a textured surface implant rather than a smooth surface because textured implants have been shown to have a lower risk of capsular contracture.

If you are suggesting that you would like to "upgrade" to a larger implant that would be possible but it will also mean revising/upsizing your left breast. Whenever your breasts are operated on there is a small but not zero risk of problems. Do you want to subject your left side to that small but real risk of capsular contracture with a second operation?

Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a BA Revision

The #costs of #BreastAugmentation and #revisions are contingent on several factors. Such as geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees. Also, different breast implants may have different costs. The approximate costs can be found here on the Real Self website, Surgery.org, or PlasticSurgery.org.

Moreover, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. I suggest you view before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Revision needed

Each surgeon's office has a policy regarding revisions and costs so you will need to ask your doctor that question. When you signed a surgical permit with informed consent it informed you that CC was a possibility and you accepted that risk. However, some of the implant manufacturers have a CC warranty and you can look into that for possible financial help. Your surgeon will have the details. BTW, you learned a good lesson, so called breast massage specialists are of no help. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Most surgeons have revision policies that help minimize the financial impact of revisions

and you should check with your surgeon about that.  If you like the lower side and a contracture is probable, you should be a replacement implant for free and all you will be paying for is the time in the OR and for anesthesia and whatever your surgeon's revision policy states.  If you had this with a new surgeon, you are going to pay a lot more.

Curtis Wong, MD

Options for capsular contracture treatment

I am not convinced that massage has any effect on capsular contracture, which is what it sounds like you have. Revision would include implant replacement and probably capsulectomy. 

Richard Baxter, MD