If 6 months is the soonest for a revision, is it ok to wait longer like a year or longer to have a corrective surgery?

Wondering if I can wait to have another surgery done maybe save the majority of the money before and not go through this again and the pain before Christmas this year. Or do reconstructive surgeries have to be done asap?

Revision?

You are not specifying what type of surgery you are referring to. I assume, Labiaplasty. Generally, at least 6 months is required between the primary and the corrective procedure, which implies that it should be reasonable to wait longer for a revision procedure. Occasionally, the post-surgical swelling may last even longer than 6 months so you should be adequately healed. Why do you think you need revision? Have you consulted with your surgeon? Also, keep in mind that once the swelling resolves, the post-surgical anatomy may differ. You may want to wait and see if you indeed need corrective surgery. Hope, it helps.

Best regards,

Yvonne Wolny, MD, FACOG

Revision?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best regards,

Yvonne Wolny, MD, FACOG

Labiaplasty Revision of Labia Minora

Thank you for your question. Labiaplasty revision of the labia minora can be performed later than 6 months after the initial labiaplasty. If you are concerned about your results then I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon.  If you are concerned about the need of a secondary procedure, I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.  There are several types of surgeons who promote themselves as performing labiaplasty, but a Cosmetic Urologist can offer unique qualifications compared to plastic surgeons, gynecologists and general urologists. Cosmetic Urologists typically have both extensive training and experience in both cosmetic and reconstructive genital surgery.  Some surgeons offer virtual evaluation through encrypted services, which is an option prior to traveling to meet the surgeon for consultation.   

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic and Reconstructive Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty Revision of Labia Minora

Best of luck.     

Timing of labiaplasty revision?

There is no advantage to rushing into any surgical revision.  Waiting longer than 6 months will not have any effect on the outcome of the revision.  Sometimes, waiting longer is actually better to allow all of the tissue in the area to normalize after the first surgery.

Timing of labiaplasty revision?

Waiting time to have a revision

There is no maximum time for a revision.  Waiting longer than 6 months will not affect the outcome of the subsequent surgery.  Best wishes

Waiting time to have a revision

No harm in waiting

As with any surgery, there is no harm in delaying revision. Generally speaking, patients can expect a continued evolution of their results for approximately 1 year post operatively. Most will delay for at least 6 months at the earliest.

"Too early" can be a problem, while "too late" rarely is.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon (ABPS).

No harm in waiting

Timing for revision of Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question.  Most surgeons would wait at least 6 months before revisions.  On the other issue there is no downside to waiting longer.  Most surgeons and patients would like to see the completed success sooner than later; however, waiting longer should not be a problem.  Please discuss this with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Timing for revision of Labiaplasty

Can I wait to do a revision?

Take as long as you need. It amazes me how much the body transforms over time.  I would 

discuss this with your surgeon regarding the policy and when and how it would be covered. 

It takes time to accept a new look.  I agree with most,  there is not problem with waiting longer.  I see 

problems when people jump into revision thinking too soon. 

Dr N

Can I wait to do a revision?

Dr N

Usually...the longer the better

Revision often gives better results with mature scar tissue which usually takes a minimum of six months to form. More often than not, waiting longer yields a better potential for improvement. A discussion with your surgeon to plan is in order to fine tune for your particular case. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Usually...the longer the better

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

No max on waiting

Hi butterfly2700,
You can wait as long as you like on the revision labiaplasty. Best of luck to you.

Dr. Jennifer S. Hayes, DO, FACOOG
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon

No max on waiting

Hi butterfly2700,

Dr. Jennifer S. Hayes, DO, FACOOG
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon

Is 6 Months the Soonest for Revision, or OK to Wait Longer

I usually recommend at least six months for labiaplasty revision surgery. This allows adequate time for complete healing so your labia are supply and soft and swelling will be less.  

Kenneth Hughes, MD, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon