I have hair loss on my crown. Is my hairline likely to recede?

Is it possible to only have patterned hair loss on the crown without any hairline recession or is it just matter of time before it starts to recede? Also, if I do not wish to take medications, are doctors willing to do hair transplant on a patient in his early to mid 20s?

Pattern Baldness

yes, it is quite possible that you get baldness in the vertex/ crown area first then progressed to hair line.treatment depends on the stage of the baldness and existing hair conditions. medical treatment with PRP, minoxidil, finesteride is advised if good numbers of hairs still present in the bald area as these medicines can improve only existing hair roots, once the root is disappeared no medicine can bring it back. As such age is no bar regarding safety of hair transplantation but hair transplantation in young patient specially in vertex area should be avoided because of progression of the baldness/pattern maturation is still going on. But if baldness is in a large area you can go for the hair transplantation, preferably FUE method so that you can use body hairs (beard and body hairs) with scalp hairs as well to cover the vertex. Advantage of this approach is that scalp hairs will be  used only in minimum quantity.  So enough scalp hairs will be left in the donor area for the future hair transplantation if progressed in the frontal area as in frontal area scalp hairs gives better cosmetic appearance while in vertex the  mixed beard area hairs are also cosmetically acceptable.

India Dermatologist

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride

I suggest seeing an expert for an evaluation. If you have loss now you likely will get permanent loss and need treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Crow hair loss

Menm in their early 20s who develop hair loss in the crown, may eventually see it in the front (likely). Only time will tell. Don't rush to transplants yet. Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements with the HAIRCHECK instrument which is very effective of predicting hair loss based upon early loss of your hair. It will determine the degree of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplants for crown - under 30

For most men, it's not a good idea to start using up grafts to transplant the crown area until well into the 30s and some would even say 40s.It is possible just to have crown loss - yes. However, if you in your early to mid 20s you really wont know for 20 more years if that's you or not.It would be unusual for a male showing crown thinning at 25 to retain all frontal density by age 50. Highly unusual.The crown area is delayed in being transplanted in order to ensure there are enough grafts available should you need them for the front areaYou probably have 6000 grafts available but it could be as low as 3000. A bald scalp represents loss of 20,000 plus follicles - so there is never enough to completely transplant the scalp with thick density (if one were to go completely bald).Get a few opinions - hair transplants in the crown area are not a good idea in the 20s and early 30s