Chin implant and liposuction to elongate and improve the bottom half of my face? (Photos)

I've hated the bottom portion of my face. I'm an aspiring performer, so this makes me even more self concious. I have a tiny chin, no jawline, and chubby cheeks. When I am looked at head on, it seems like my long cheeks and large jowls take up 75% of my face. I want a more chiseled look that is still feminine. Would a chin implant be good for me as well at liposuction? Would it improve my side profile as well as elongate my face? What can I do to improve the bottom half of my face?

Chin implant and neck liposuction

The photographs demonstrate a weak and recessive chin profile and a very small amount of fat in the neck. A chin implant can accomplish  bringing the chin forward, adding width to the chin and vertical height. Chin implants are composed of Silastic, and are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined time of the consultation and examination. In our practice, we do not recommend liposuction in the face, only in the neck. For diagrams of the implants, more information  and many before and after examples of chin implants, please see the video and the link below

Facial shape

Overall, you have a smaller lower jaw, including the chin, The chin is only one component of the jawline. A smaller lower jaw accentuates the 'soft tissue' of the face. A defined jawline can involve chin augmentation, but also augmentation to define the 'back/middle' part of the jawline. Liposuction can be unnecessary in many cases since  the area under the chin can become 'flatter' when the chin is augmented. The key is balance. Youthful tissue tends to be fuller since it looks natural

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin implant and liposuction to improve the bottom half of my face?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak and there is excess fat in the front and below the cheeks. These factors combine to create an elongated rectangular shaped face.   Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. I would combine liposuction to further shape the cheeks. I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps. 

Facial Balance

You are correct. Liposuction to the neck area under the chin and a chin implant can improve your profile significantly. Liposuction to the lower face can also help but should be done conservatively.This combination will better balance your face, as your "lower one third" ie your lower jaw is diminutive compared to your broad "middle third" face.The chin implant should be the extended Anatomic shape as that will augment both your chin projection and the width of your lower jaw when you are viewed "head on" from the front. That is because the implant wraps around your chin and extends further along the side of the jawline, giving your lower face maximum contour improvement.By the way, this should all be done through a small incision under your chin. Good luck!

Richard A. D’Amico, MD, FACS
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Lower Facial Elongation

Ideally you show have a total jawline implant that not only provides chin augmentation but that of the entire jawline back to the angles. This jawline procedure combined with buccal lipectomies and perioral liposuction will create the best facial reshaping result that you can obtain.

Chin implant and liposuction

Based on your photos it appears that you would be a good candidate for a chin implant and neck liposuction, such as in the example below.  A special kind of chin implant is needed for your chin in order to provide vertical lengthening as well as projection.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS