Chin implant after sliding genioplasty.

I had sliding genioplasty in 2013, I think my chin still looks recessed. Is it possible to add a chin implant?

Chin implant?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Adding a chin implant after having prior sliding genioplasty

Yes, it is possible to further augment the chin with an implant after having had a prior sliding genioplasty.

I perform both chin implantation and sliding genioplasty procedures in patients based on their preferences and anatomy. I've also successfully done chin implant placement in patients who've had prior sliding genioplasty in the past.

You can learn more about chin augmentation at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implant after orthognathic surgery

Sure - assuming your dental occlusion is normal after sliding osseus genioplasty - a chin implant will help improve chin point projection. See a board certified plastic surgeon about your options.

Chin implant after sliding genioplasty.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. When the chin is weak, this  A weak creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  I have performed chin augmentation, with a chin implant, numerous times on patients who had a sliding genioplasty performed elsewhere.  It is possible however, the surgery is more complicated due to the bone breaks, screws and or metal plates used in the sliding genioplasty...so be certain you find an experienced Chin Implant Surgeon.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant after sliding genioplasty

It is possible to perform a chin implant procedure after a sliding genioplasty. We have done that several times in our practice in the past. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. We have used Implantech silastic chin implants for over 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information, diagrams of the implants and many before-and-after examples, please see the link and the video below

Genioplasty and chin implant combination

Yes. The best choice is customized implant material on top of the previous prominence; and allow for material to ensure the 'fold' under the lip does not get too deep

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon