After 3 months (botched) labiaplasty: what should be done to fix me? (Photos)

Please see photos I am so depressed I'm uprooting my little life to rent a room to save for a reconstructive surgery next yr. I want to hear your thoughts on what the best method will be and why (most my swelling is gone but I am still tender and get sore the last of my slightly attached skin broke just the other day and this is what I am left with) I feel half my vagina gone.and it looks like the part that was cut never should have been back was way less tissue then the front had/has

Wait for reconstruction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I see why you are frustrated because it appears very little skin has been removed. This makes reconstruction a bit easier because you can always remove more, but it is extremely difficult to replace an over zealous trim. However, you need to take you need to take more time to completely heal, save your money, and do research to find the best reconstructive surgeon even if it requires traveling to another city. Good luck. 

Modified Hidef labiaplasty in Los Angeles with RF

I would correct this early with a modified Hidef labiaplasty with trim, clitoral hood reduction, and RF tissue tightening. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Botched labiaplasty

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. Your present dissatisfaction may be due to swelling or the specifics of the wedge technique used by your surgeon.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You will need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. Fortunately, you have a lot of remaining labia and clitoral hood, so I should be able to give you a good appearance after reconstruction. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D. 

Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC- Dubai, UAE

Labiaplasty Revision After Concerns of Botched Labiplasty

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. I am sorry to hear about your concerns. Swelling is common after labiaplasty of the labia minora with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.   If you are concerned about your results then I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon.  If you are concerned about the need of a secondary procedure, I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon for a second opinion.

Genital reconstruction can be more challenging than the original labiaplasty of the labia minora.  I would recommend finding an experienced reconstructive genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.  There are several types of surgeons who promote themselves as performing labiaplasty, but a Cosmetic Urologist can offer unique qualifications compared to plastic surgeons, gynecologists and general urologists. Cosmetic Urologists typically have both extensive training and experience in both cosmetic and reconstructive genital surgery.  Some surgeons offer virtual evaluation through encrypted services, which is an option prior to traveling to meet the surgeon for consultation.  

Best of luck.   

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (COSMETIC and RECONSTRUCTIVE UROLOGIST -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Labiaplasty healing result

Hello and I am so sorry to hear what you are going through!

It looks like the healing has not progressed as planned, but it looks like you can have a good reconstruction based on the tissues left. Make sure you go to a surgeon with experience in reconstruction not only labiaplasty, to appreciate whats missing and what would need to be further removed or replaced to give you a good result. It's good to keep the progress photos, that will help in further surgical planning, appreciating the blood supplying the way it was affected.  I hope that tenderness will improve, now that the last stitches have gone.

You will also have to look into the whole experience and find the "recipe" for disaster, so you can avoid it next time.

Take care!

Revision in 3-6 Months

Thank you for your question and photos - I am sorry that things did not go as planned with your original surgery.  As others have stated already, it does appear that you have enough tissue remaining to end up with a good result - as long as you are in the hands of an experienced cosmetic surgeon (experience with vulvar cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, that is).  It would be useful to know what specific aspects of your current anatomy bother you the most, in order to provide better advice on what, specifically, needs to be done in a revision surgery.  In my opinion, a revision should include a citoral hood redution and also fat grafting to the labia majora, in addition to the obvious: repairing the labia minora and reducing the upper portion to something that suits you a little better.  The first step is to find a qualified surgeon and go in for consultation.  Ask the doctor how he or she intends to "fix" the botched surgery and hopefully the answer will sound similar to some of the answers you are getting here on RealSelf.  If you hear something way off - you can always ask another question here and you'll get many expert answers.  Best of luck!

Unhappy with Results

I support your decision to get help until you are satisfied.  There is great hope for getting the results you want. In addition to re-doing the labiaplasty to allow a smooth/tight contour and decrease the extra skin, it appears that the perineum may need a little work to take care of the vaginal opening.  This must be done by a trained surgeon that understands the opening to allow re-approximation of the small lips and allows for a normal opening that does not hurt with intercourse. 

Revision labiaplasty and possible perineoplasty from what I see.  Cannot see the inside,  make sure they address all parts or your anatomy.

Dr N

Revision options after a botched labiaplasty

Wait six months minimum after your initial surgery to schedule a revision. The sites of tenderness need to be examined for excessive tension and this can be addressed at your revision. During your consultation, the specifics of the appearance you seek will be discussed in detail  It appears that there is plenty of tissue to work with.

After 3 months (botched) labiaplasty: what should be done to fix me?

Thank you for your question and photos. Unfortunately, this is far from a good result. You had your lower labias amputated by a surgeon who is totally unfamiliar with this operation. The bright side is that he/she left you lots of labial tissue that can be used in reconstructing your present condition. Do not let anyone remove the excess labia to match the amputated lower vaginal opening! You will also need clitoral hood reduction at the same time.

This emphasizes again the importance of choosing a surgeon with the right credentials and experience over the lowest bidder. Now, besides the fee that you already paid, will cost you more than if this would've been done correctly first time. Cannot afford another failed procedure, which could affect you emotionally and functionally in a negative way in the long run.

See a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who has lots of experience with labiaplasties and correction of botched results. Wait at least another 3 months before you consider surgery. Good luck.

What can be done to fixed my botched labiaplasty?

Dear Butterfly2700,

Thank you for writing in with your questions and sharing your photos.  I am sorry to hear about your surgical experience.  The good news is that you have a lot of tissue to work with and excellent results can be achieved.  Please do your homework and find a surgeon who has extensive training in more than one labiaplasty technique.  You could benefit from an inferior wedge resection which would bring your natural edges all the way down to the area where tissue is missing.  A lateral hood or prepuce reduction is also recommended as that will reduce the folds on the sides.

To read more about labiaplasty, please visit the link below.

I hope this information is helpful and wish you luck in your reconstruction.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, M.D., F.A.C.O.G.

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio