After breast augmentation can I be too elevated?

i know I need to be elevated, but finding it sore on my back when I get too close to a 45 degree angle. Is it ok to be up closer to 80 degrees with pillow support?

Positioning after Breast Augmentation

I generally have my patients have their head and back elevated to about 30-45 degrees for a day or two, mainly to help relieve the pressure on the chest and for comfort reasons.  After that I allow my patient to lay flat as long as they are comfortable that way.

You certainly can be over elevated as this will cause more discomfort, mainly on the lower back.

As every surgeon as their own postoperative regimen, it is always best to discuss such things with your plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Discussion with my patients will include postoperative positioning. I do think back elevation can make the patient more comfortable. How high depends on the patient's preference

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Finding sleep positions

I know we have patients doing all kinds of voodoo things after surgery like sleeping elevated.  Find a comfortable position and you will do fine.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  It should be no problems being more upright than 45° (you can't be "too elevated"). Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Listen to your body.

After breast augmentation, the majority of discomfort you feel stems from your skin and tissue stretching to accommodate the implants. In the days following surgery, we generally advise women to sleep on their backs, elevated about 45 degrees if possible to increase comfort and allow gravity to begin its job of helping the implants settle into the breast pocket as the skin and surrounding tissues stretch. If a woman finds it to be more comfortable to sit more upright, there shouldn’t be any issue with this, generally speaking. However, I don’t know your incision placement or the specifics of your procedure, so it is best to consult with your surgeon to make sure this sleep position doesn’t pose any problem.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Positioning Post Op

Thank you for your question. I can't see any issue with you sitting up- except that many people cannot sleep comfortably that way. I recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about instructions specific to you.

All the best