Can I get my breast implants removed after already having them for 3 years?

I received my breast implants 3 years ago and have been thinking about getting them removed. Is this possible? And what are the consequences? I went went from a full size B to (supposed to be C) a small D. I'm worried my breasts will be stretched out and deformed if I get the implants removed, but I'd LOVE to get these things out! I really dislike how they feel. Thanks for any advice and help offered!

Implant removal

You can have your implants removed at any time.  The look you will have after surgery will be determined by many factors such as size of the implants, elasticity of the skin, breastfeeding, etc.  I would encourage you to meet with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can give you more accurate information with an examination.

Breast Implant Removal

I think the best answer for your question would be to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. There are alot of factors to take into consideration before proceeding with surgery and what the outcome would be. It will depend on your age, elasticity and how much breast tissue you have. Good luck!

Leo Lapuerta, MD

What breasts will look like if implants are removed?

Several factors are especially important - your age, the size of the implants, how many pregnancies, the elasticity of the skin, but in general, most women are surprised that the breasts look better than they expected after just removing the implants.

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.
Consulting with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person may be helpful.
The attached link may be helpful to you as well.

Breast Implant Removal

There are many factors to consider with breast implant removal.  Implant size, age, weight changes, and type of skin will factor in with your recovery.  I recommend my patients wear a good sports bra during recovery.  Since you have only had the implants for 3 years, and if your weight has been stable, you should expect a nice recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Can I get my breast implants removed?

Yes, but you have to consider what you may look like.  I'm obviously sorry that you're not happy with your result.

However, factors such as how large the implants are, how long they've been in, weight changes, type of skin, your age, etc., can help predict how likely your breasts are to return to their preoperative appearance.  You are probably better off assuming they won't, and then if you remain unhappy, you can consider a breast lift.

If you decide that you would only be happy with a return to that appearance then I would probably advise against removing them

You should meet with several board-certified plastic surgeons in person for a full and complete discussion of the available options and what the result you could reasonably expect.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Removing breast implants after 3 years

Sorry to hear that you are so dissatisfied.  Yes you can. This can be done several ways, but depends on if there are any issues with the capsule, residual excess skin, and/or malposition.  Just to name a few.  It can be as straight forward as removing them in the office under local anesthetic, to requiring general anesthesia for capsule removal.  

Definitely make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.
Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD