Why doctor told me to keep clenching during Botox injection for Jaw Reduction?

Is this supposed to keep the muscles contracted so that greater surface area is exposed to the toxin? Just curious haha!

Botox and Clenching

The physician asks the patient to clench their jaw so he can get an indication of the masseter. It is always best to ask your treating physician any concerns your may have.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox and Clenching Teeth

Thanks for your question!  When I am injecting the masseter muscles, I always have my patients clench their teeth as well.  This helps me know that I am in the bulk of the muscle belly and treating the area appropriately.  Best of luck to you!

Botox in the masseter

Thank you for your question anninthewood. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. In the lower face Botox can be placed in the master muscle to reduce the size of the jaw. Unlike most of the muscles in the upper face which are close to the surface of the skin, the masseter is deeper in the skin. This is one muscle I ask patients to keep contracting during the treatment, allowing precise placement of the Botox in the bulk of the muscle. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Hi there, this helps to localized the exact area where we are injecting the Botox. I do this as well with all of my patients and when I am injecting Botox into my own jaw muscles I do this to myself. This is known as commonly accepted medical technique. Do not worried. Take care Dr. Downie.

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Masseter and Botox

The masseter shows up more when you clench your teeth, but the injection hurts more if you do. I have the patient clench and then mark the areas I want to inject so you can relax the muscle and it is more comfortable

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Activity qnd injecting

Toxins are a great treatment for masseter reduction,  This can also often help with night clenching.  identifying the boarders of the muscle as well as the point of maximum bulk is important in determining where to best inject and how much product is necessary for the desired result.

Botox for masseter injection

Clearly this is to delineate the outline of the muscle you asked to be injected. This forum is not for entertainment or amusement. It is always best to ask your treating physician why he or she is doing what they are doing.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Masseter muscle

This is just a way for the physician to better locate the boundaries of the muscle.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Clenching and Botox

When the masseter is injected, it is reasonable to ask a patient to clench their teeth to palpate the muscle. Best of luck.

Botox/clenched jaw

this is pretty normal in order to define the muscle and points of injection. This is a great treatment. Especially for those who clench at night.