Is it best to get the usual tummy tuck ie full one or the new type?

There is a new type of tummy tuck I have been told about at a clinic in London Uk it is called 'Brazilian' more expensive, less downtime due to more liposuction and less 'cutting' apparently. I saw some before and after pics online but it is hard to tell really. I do not have a huge amount of loose skin so I could go for either I think but Brazilian costs a lot more it seems and only one person in Uk doing it for now.

Tummy Tuck Types

There are a variety or types/approach and technique for Abdominoplasty. Many Plastic Surgeons will adjust their plan according to the patient's needs for the best outcome. Full Abdominoplasty, Mini And Floating Abdominoplasty can all be done with or without liposuction to the abdomen. I recommend that you meet with a few local board certified Plastic Surgeons who specialize in this area and ask about their techniques.

All the best

Tummy tuck

There are many ways to perform a tummy tuck. What I think you are talking about is aggressive liposuction with minimal undermining.  Every surgeon is different as fees go.

Thank you for your question. Without seeing pictures I can not comment. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Type of tummy tuck

Hi, 

Thanks for your question. Usually, if a procedure is given a particular name but the results look about the same as the standard, the new name is used to increase the price. That being said, if you feel comfortable with the plastic surgeon you met with and feel that he/she has good results, it's likely best to listen to the given advice and go forward with the procedure. Remember that you are free to get more than one opinion when evaluating your options. 

Best wishes!

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Photos for better advices

Thanks for the question. I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy Tuck Options

Thank you for your question. There are many names for variations on tummy tucks. It's not the name that is important but what you are looking for as a result of the procedure. When consulting with your plastic surgeon talk about your concerns including excess pockets of fat, tummy muscle bulge, loose skin and belly button concerns. 

Liposuction will remove the fat and sculpt the abdomen. Repair of the tummy bulge (diastasis muscle repair) will flatten the abdomen. Tummy Tuck will remove the loose skin. An umbilicoplasty will improve the shape and position of your belly button. 

You and your plastic surgeon should come up with a plan that will give you the results that you want.

Full or mini TT?

Far more important than deciding if TT is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Though marketed under different names a tummy tuck with liposuction remains the gold standard in abdominal contouring.  The tummy tuck will tighten your stomach muscles, helping to achieve a flatter appearance, while removing excess skin and adipose tissue.  Liposuction can be used to enhance your tummy tuck results by narrowing your waist and removing isolated areas of diet and exercise resistant fat.  Hope that this helps

Beware of marketing gimmick's

There are a lot of marketing gimmick's in cosmetic surgery these days. If you go to a well experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon in the United States, they will likely give you many different options on how to address your problem. There are very few things in our industry that are actually "new."  Traveling abroad for surgery can be very risky unless you have unlimited funds and can stay there until you are healed.  Having said that, there are a lot of charlatans in the United States as well so you need to pick your surgeon very carefully.  You need to start going to a few consultations in your area and see what someone says after examining you. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon