5 yrs post op Breast Augmentation, I have a lot of pain. Is this normal?

I had a breast enlargement about 5 years ago and for about a year i have been having a lot of pain. This pain is at the bottom of both breasts where the underwire sits. It is a very tight and uncomfortable feeling that is worse when i wake up but seems to be there for most of the day. some days i get sharp pain that don't last long. They seem to be further apart than i remember and my nipples are far to high some bras just cover my nipples and some don't.

It sounds like the pain you are experiencing may be due to a capsular contracture.  It would be best if you follow up with your surgeon for an in-office exam to know for certain.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Follow Up with Your Surgeon

Hi haze_zool, thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your pain. Please follow up with the surgeon who performed your procedure, or a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Thanks for the question. From your description you might have a capsular contraction and need to visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as soon as you can to assess and take care of the issue.

All the best!

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD

From your description of the pain and its location you may well be dealing with a capsular contraction.  You will need to see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person physical exam to determine if that is the case.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

5 yrs post op Breast Augmentation, I have a lot of pain.

Hi... thank you for the question, it seems to be a capsular contracture issue, you will need to be examine by your PS... 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Pain post aug

Without photos you seem to be having problems with marked encapsulation and that can cause wide separation,pain etc. go back to your doctor and have him examine you.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pain

What you are describing is very typical of a capsular contracture development.  Needless to say, you need to return to your plastic surgeon for an examination.  Don't wait too  long.  There's no point in needlessly having pain!  Good  luck.

Virgil Willard, MD
High Point Plastic Surgeon

Pain 5 years after breast implants

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• The pain you describe, with the change in appearance of your breasts, suggests a capsular contracture.
  • Please return to your plastic surgeon to be examined and to discuss what surgical and non-surgical options there are.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Breast Augmentation - Breast Pain

Pain can be a sign of a few different things and I would start by returning to your plastic surgeon for an examination. Typically it is due to a capsular contracture where the capsule that is surrounding the breast implant has excess scarring that causes restriction and breast pain. However, it can also be due a few other things and an examination is warranted. 

#PlasticSurgery #BreastAugmentation #breastpain 

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  Given your description, it sounds like you are developing/have developed a capsular contracture.  With the presence of pain, most surgeons would recommend a surgical procedure to remove the capsule and implant exchange or removal of implant.  I would recommend seeing a plastic surgeon for evaluation.  If this is the case, s/he will go over the various options available to ameliorate your issue.  Hope that this helps!  BEst wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD