How are anatomical implants lighter than rounds with comparable width?

I've read that among implants with corresponding width, anatomical implants will be approximately 20% lighter than round implants of the same base width. What I want to know is how are they lighter if the base width an projection are comparable? Will a 330cc moderate plus anatomical implant look smaller than a 325cc moderate plus round as it's lighter? Even though the anatomical projects 1.6cm further and is 0.2cm wider?

Implant weight

For any given volume, the implants weigh about the same amount.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

The weight of silicone implants varies with the total volume of the implants. Anatomic implants do not have as much upper pole volume as round implants. 300cc anatomics and 300cc rounds weigh the same. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant weight

Volume to volume the weight will be very similar.  There may be a small variation due to the shell and the density of the gel.   Due to the shape, the volume of an anatomical implant will be dispersed differently than a round implant.  This accounts for the width and projection differences.

Implant weight

You are overthinking this issue. For the same VOLUME (dimensions don't matter in weight), there would be no detectable difference to you in weight - none.                .                                         .

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Implant Weight

GM ICRLM,    The weight of the implant is affected by thickness of the shell and the volume of material inside.  The discrepancy between them however is small.  I just weighed a 470cc gel (0.65 kg) versus a 440cc gummy (0.55kg) that we have as demo's.  The difference is 3 ounces.The real question is how are the different type implants going to affect your breast shape and size.  How are these going to be inserted?   We like to insert shaped generation 5 implants endoscopically through a hidden underarm incision.  It is what we call the Transax Augmentation.  This leaves no breast scar and a shorter physical recovery.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon