Do I have gynecomastia or is it just fat? (Photo)

I feel nothing under my nipple skin and i have about 26% body fat..

Doctor Answers 6

Determining If You Have Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. 

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Sometimes the definitions can become blurry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Does it really matter if someone calls it an excessive fat distribution in your chest or fat with excess of glandular tissue in your chest?

The bottom line is it bothers you enough to have you bring it up on RealSelf.

I suggest you consult with an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to get a proper assessment and to see what your options are.

Best of luck,

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Do I Have Gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi satyarana,

Thank you for posting. The term gynecomastia literally means female breast. This is due to enlarged breast, or glandular, tissue that causes the chest in a male to take on a more female form. When there is excess fat, but no excess breast tissue, it is referred to as pseudogynecomastia. However, the chest can still look feminine and may be improved with surgery. 

I would recommend that you be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. Also, I always recommend that a patient is at or near their ideal bbody weight prior to undergoing surgery. If it is just fatty excess under your skin, then it may imprve with diet and exercise.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Regardless of whether your appearance is due to excess fat or true breast tissue, either can lead to the diagnosis of gynecomastia. Typically the breasts are suctioned and if there is a significant amount of firm, non-suctionable breast tissue under the areolae, this can be excised under direct vision, utilizing a periareolar incision.  Best of Luck   Dr Harrell


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I can understand you're asking the question I think this the right way, but it doesn't really matter. Whether this is gland, fat, or what's most likely a combination of both, will be treated at the same time if you want to improve the situation. I'm sure you'll find a good plastic surgeon in your area for an in-depth personal consultation. My particular favorite approach is a tiny scar inside the armpit which can treat the entire condition. Good luck with it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi, thanks for posting your pictures and for your inquiry. A physical exam is needed to determine whether or not is fat or gland, Please have a virtual (Skype) or an in person consultation so you can discuss your options, concerns and expectations thoroughly, good luck in your PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 257 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.