Can I get breast implants or would I need a reduction first?

I've always had naturally big breasts - a size FF. I've recently had a child and my breasts are no longer as perky as they were. Would I be able to get implants or would I first need to have a reduction done? I am wanting to keep my breasts at a big size but I want them to be perky.

Breast lift

If your breast are still full but drooping a bit then a breast lift may be all you need to restore the contour and projection you are looking for.

When faced with large droopy breasts and you want to maintain your size

and you are willing to give up your natural tissue, a reduction employing a inferior based flap with implants would give you the best chance at achieving what you want.  But your native tissue will be less in volume and if you have to have your implants removed for whatever reason, you will be smaller in size.  But what you ask is very straightforward and employs reconstruction techniques to provide great coverage of your implant despite what you may be told by others here.

Curtis Wong, MD

Unfortunately, without photos or a physical exam it is difficult to say exactly which breast surgery option might be best for you.  However, if you are a size FF cup a reduction/breast lift will probably be the correct option for you.  Adding an implant will add to the weight of your breasts and will probably not make them more "perky" without a lift.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgery who has extensive breast surgery experience.  They should be able to help you decide what option who serve you best.   Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift or Lift with Implants.

Thanks for your question.  A breast lift alone usually looks good immediately after the procedure but leads to some settling of your breast tissue and a lack of projection and upper breast fullness.   For that reason many surgeons discuss the option of placement of a small to modest sized implant to maintain projection.  Healing problems are more common when both procedures are combined but you have the option (reasonable in my opinion) to have the lift and implants placed simultaneously under one anesthesia. The other option would be to see the results from the lift alone and only get the breast implants later if needed and desired.Watch the video link above but most helpful for you will be to have face to face discussions with more than one ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeons to discuss option.
Regards, Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Lift

If you are happy with the volume that your breasts have then a Mastopexy procedure to lift and reposition the breasts could best meet your needs. I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in this procedure in order to discuss your goals and learn about your options. .
All the best

Breast Implants or a Reduction

When you have big breast then there is no need to add more volume by adding breast implants.  It sounds like you would benefit from a breast reduction/lift.  All breast reductions should lift your breasts and serve to give you a more pleasing shape as well as a more functional size if that is your goal. I hope that helps. Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Saggy and large

if you are sagging and large, you should consider getting a breast lift which will make you perky while maintaining your size; Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question. Difficult to comment without photos.  However, a breast lift would reposition your nipples and reshape your breasts, giving them a more youthful appearance. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Without photos there is no way we can comment on your specific situation. But implants make you bigger and it does not sound like that is a good idea for you if you are truly the size you say (many women buy bras bigger than they truly fit). It sounds like you would benefit from a significant reduction ( and that includes a lift).

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast surgery

it is almost impossible to comment on your case without seeing pictures however I would recommend that you have a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon and I recommend that you do use 3-D imaging to evaluate your breasts to see exactly what results you would like and whether or not you need an implant or just a reduction and lift.