Would breast implants fix my nipple asymmetry? (Photo)

Would it stretch my smaller nipple out?

Nipple asymmetry

Thank you for your photo. An implant alone will not stretch our your smaller nipple enough for symmetry. If you are planning on a breast augmentation, you can consider having a simultaneous procedure on your nipple to either stretch the smaller one out or reduce the size of the larger one. The incision will be around the nipple and blend in at the edge where the color changes. Another option, if desired, is to slightly shrink the larger one and slightly enlarge the smaller one which would result in the same type of scar around both nipples.  Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Beverly Hills Physician

No it won't

There is really very little "stretching" of the areola with breast augmentation. Most often when they appear larger after surgery it has more to do with the temperature than a surgical result. You have a few choices.1. Live with it and accept that everyone has minor asymmetries.2. Reduce the larger areola with a scar running around the larger areola that may be visible.3. Talk to a medical tattoo artist about adding a little matching color around the smaller areola. (no scars) Medical tattoo artists take a little research to find, don't just go to the local guy/gal with a good rep for great tattoos.

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Nipple asymmetry

Depending on the laxity of your tissues, breast implants may or may not increase the areolar diameters. It the implants do increase the diameters, they will likely do so symmetrically so it is unlikely the asymmetry will be improved. If it is important to improve the nipple symmetry there are options than can be discussed with your surgeon. 

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation will increase areolar diameter #plasticsurgery

Some patients see some dilation and change of shape of areola after breast augmentation. The degree to which your areola will change in size and shape is not predictable, in my experience.

Implants won't change your areolar asymmetry

Hi 55arah,Thanks so much for your inquiry. The areola is pigmented, contractile skin and contains some glands that lubricate the area during breastfeeding. Breast implants stretch the breast skin to some extent, but you probably won't get size symmetry by having breast implants. You could reduce the larger areola with a small skin excision, but you'll trade the symmetry for a scar. If the size asymmetry bothers you a lot, it might be worth it. But if you otherwise like your breasts, I wouldn't recommend implants for this issue.Best of luck,Dr. Weintraub

Stretching areola

Implants may stretch your areolae some depending on the size you go with, but if you stretch one, you are stretching the other as well! If you have a preference for one nipple over the other, we have ways to achieve symmetry either by reducing the size of your larger or intentionally stretching the smaller. Remember though, that breasts are SISTERS, not TWINS! During your consultation, may sure to ask your board-certified surgeon to show you photos of his techniques and results so that your vision matches his/hers. I hope this helps. -Dr. Mills.

Dan Mills, MD

Implants only make your breasts larger and fuller

and it will not improve the horizontal line but it could stretch out the areola a little, just as it could stretch out the larger one a little so getting symmetry from implants alone will not work.

Curtis Wong, MD

Would breast implants fix my nipple asymmetry?

No, that won't work, but there are procedures that can even out the areola asymmetry and can be done at the same time as the augmentation. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

No correction

Implants alone will not correct the nipple asymmetry. A nipple lift on the lowered side will certainly help. Best of luck

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS