Is Botox and Juvederm safe while breast feeding an 11-month-old?

Hi, I'm currently breastfeeding my 11month old (only twice a day now). I've gone without my Botox and juvederm for the whole pregnancy and up until now. Is is safe to have this treatment while still breastfeeding. I know of a few women now who have done this with no problems at all. Thanks for your time.

Botox is not safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding

The safety of botox injections during breastfeeding has not been established.  It is best to wait until you are finished breastfeeding before you proceed with a treatment, not worth the risk in my opinion.

Injectables: Are Botox and Juvederm safe while breastfeeding?

Botox is a medication injected into target muscles to selectively weaken them to produce fewer/softer wrinkles.

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid facial filler that is injected to temporarily and reversibly improve the contours of the face.

In the case of a breastfeeding mom, it is recommended to hold off on these types of injection, because there is little to no information regarding the safety of these neuromodulators and facial fillers in pregnant or breastfeeding women. The risk of anything happening to you or your child is likely low but uncertain. As I am not comfortable with an uncertain risk, I have my patients wait. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding, Botox and Fillers, Oh My!

There is nothing to worry about.  Plenty of women have been pregnant or breast feeding while getting cosmetic treatments.  Even though there are no official studies, nothing has been reported to affect a baby in the rare instances the physician has treated someone who is in this situation. All my patients are asked about this and informed that studies have not been performed. The decision is then left up to them. Best, Dr. Emer

Breastfeeding-Yes; Botox/Fillers-NO

Hello cherry2015,

Thank you sharing this very common question. The short answer is NO, it is not recommended to have Botox, Fillers or most all aesthetic (elective) procedures done while pregnant or breastfeeding. We have no data on safety and any information (such as your friends who have done it) is purely anecdotal and cannot be relied upon for reassurance. Safety first. Feel free to resume all your desired treatments when you have completed breastfeeding. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Botox and Breast feeding

I agree with my colleagues below.   It is not safe to use Botox or fillers while Breastfeeding.  It has not been tested and I tell my patients, it's not worth the risk.  Wait until you are no longer nursing your baby.  

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Juvederm have not been tested in nursing mothers.  The potential side effects are unknown at this time.

Cosmetic procedures on hold during breastfeeding

The procedures shouldn't be done during breast feeding. There is most likely very little risk but it is not recommended to do anything that is elective during breast feeding or when pregnant.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox And Juvederm Safe While Breastfeeding An 11 Month Old?

Thank you for your excellent question.  The recommendation is that you not receive cosmetic treatments such as Botox or Juvederm while pregnant or breastfeeding.  Once you stop breastfeeding completely you can resume your treatments.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Cosmetic treatments and breast feeding

Nothing is approved for use during pregnancy or breast feeding, although there has never been a case reported of any difficulty. However, it is best to wait until you are completely finished breast feeding as things do occur and you don't want to assume that whatever may happen is your fault

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Injections during pregnancy

Thanks for the question. I recommend that you postpone all facial injections and cosmetic treatments until after pregnancy and breastfeeding. There are no studies to evaluate the spread of product and effects on your baby or breast milk. I wish you the best!