Is Botox and Juvederm safe while breast feeding an 11-month-old?

Hi, I'm currently breastfeeding my 11month old (only twice a day now). I've gone without my Botox and juvederm for the whole pregnancy and up until now. Is is safe to have this treatment while still breastfeeding. I know of a few women now who have done this with no problems at all. Thanks for your time.

Breastfeeding, Botox and Fillers, Oh My!

There is nothing to worry about.  Plenty of women have been pregnant or breast feeding while getting cosmetic treatments.  Even though there are no official studies, nothing has been reported to affect a baby in the rare instances the physician has treated someone who is in this situation. All my patients are asked about this and informed that studies have not been performed. The decision is then left up to them. Best, Dr. Emer

Hold off on all injectable treatments until you’ve finished breastfeeding.

There’s little to no data that studies the impacts of BOTOX® and JUVÉDERM® on breastfeeding. Although several of your friends have done it, their anecdotal experiences are not sufficient to determine whether it’s safe to breastfeed after receiving BOTOX® or JUVÉDERM®. I would advise that you wait until you’ve finished breastfeeding before you resume your cosmetic injectable treatments. Best of luck to you.

Gordon Andan, MD
New York General Surgeon

Botox While Breast Feeding

It is recommend to not have any elective cosmetic procedures done while pregnant or breastfeeding. There is no studies of the safety of Botox or Juvederm on this subject at this time. It is best to wait till you are done breastfeeding to resume your treatments.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Best to wait until after breastfeeding.

When it comes to neuromodulators like Botox and dermal fillers such as Juvederm, it is best to postpone receiving these injections until you are finished breastfeeding. This is because it is not known if these treatments can cause issues for the child.

Dr. Jonathan Berman

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Botox while breast feeding

To be extra cautious, it's probably best not to receive those injections during pregnancy and breast feeding.  Good luck!

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox is not safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding

The safety of botox injections during breastfeeding has not been established.  It is best to wait until you are finished breastfeeding before you proceed with a treatment, not worth the risk in my opinion.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Injectables: Are Botox and Juvederm safe while breastfeeding?

Botox is a medication injected into target muscles to selectively weaken them to produce fewer/softer wrinkles.

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid facial filler that is injected to temporarily and reversibly improve the contours of the face.

In the case of a breastfeeding mom, it is recommended to hold off on these types of injection, because there is little to no information regarding the safety of these neuromodulators and facial fillers in pregnant or breastfeeding women. The risk of anything happening to you or your child is likely low but uncertain. As I am not comfortable with an uncertain risk, I have my patients wait. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding-Yes; Botox/Fillers-NO

Hello cherry2015,

Thank you sharing this very common question. The short answer is NO, it is not recommended to have Botox, Fillers or most all aesthetic (elective) procedures done while pregnant or breastfeeding. We have no data on safety and any information (such as your friends who have done it) is purely anecdotal and cannot be relied upon for reassurance. Safety first. Feel free to resume all your desired treatments when you have completed breastfeeding. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Botox and Breast feeding

I agree with my colleagues below.   It is not safe to use Botox or fillers while Breastfeeding.  It has not been tested and I tell my patients, it's not worth the risk.  Wait until you are no longer nursing your baby.  

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding

Botox and Juvederm have not been tested in nursing mothers.  The potential side effects are unknown at this time.