What shape, round or teardrop shape, would suit my body? (Photo)

I have sent pictures to my local surgeon and emailed back saying teardrop only but I want more advise..... I do like more natural but don't want it to low and as I have been researching and all the pictures I like are round as I know everyone is different PLEASE Help..... Sam

Round or Teardrop Shape?

I would completely agree with your local surgeon and here is why. Your photo shows that you have thin tissues particularly in your upper chest. In addition, you have a long torso and your breasts are positioned relatively low on your chest wall. Unless you go with quite a small size implant, a round implant will look unnatural, like a round ball on your chest and without any fullness or cleavage higher up your chest wall. Looking at photos of other patients is not predictive of what you will look like unless the person looks exactly like you before surgery. If you like the photos of patients with round implants then just realize that round implants will look very round on you, which is not a natural look.
I would suggest using a Sientra shaped implant, the so called "Classic" version which is taller than it is wide. This implant is very well suited to the person with a longer torso because it extends somewhat higher up your chest providing for a natural upper chest cleavage. While implant rotation is theoretically possible, when the operation is properly performed this almost never occurs. In their latest core study series of over 6000 patients there was 0% rotation of shaped implants. In patients with more breast/chest tissue it can be difficult to tell the difference between a round and shaped implant, but it would be quite noticeable in someone like yourself. 

Consultation with a plastic surgeon is the best way to determine the best implant for you.

Deciding on what type, shape and size of implants to choose can seem overwhelming because there are so many options. Ultimately, clear communication with your surgeon about the look you hope to achieve is incredibly important to help you reach your goals. Sometimes verbal descriptions can lead to confusion because words like “full” or “natural” have different meanings to different people. I find that the best way for a patient to convey her goals to me is to bring in photos of the breasts she'd like to achieve and from there, we work with 3D imaging to "try on" different options and see what implant size and shape will deliver that outcome. Again, communication is key, and an in-person consultation is the best way to help you decide. 

Both style implants would work

as it is more important that your surgeon have the right judgment and skills to go with it.  I prefer shaped implants over the muscle and smooth round implants under the muscle.  But in the end, its entirely up to you.

Curtis Wong, MD

What shape, round or teardrop shape, would suit my body?

I do not favor teardrop implants.  I believe round implants placed under the muscle would give you a very nice result.

Fred Suess, MD

Implant shape

I use round smooth silicone implants because when you are upright, the raound impalnt becomes tear drop, and is most natural.

Breast Augmentation-

Thank you for your question and for sharing appropriate pictures. You seem to be a great candidate for a breast augmentation with anatomical shaped implants. This will give you a more natural look because the shaped implants mimic breast shape. You don't have a lot of breast tissue, so the implant will need to be shaped like a breast in order for it to look natural. I recommend undergoing Vectra 3D imaging so you can see how round or shaped implants would look after your procedure. You will need to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Shaped or round

From your photograph, it appears that if using a shaped implant, and you wanting a more soft result, that a moderate height moderately projecting implant may be the way to go. Those implants, in my experience, work very well in your circumstance of thin overlying soft-tissue coverage. The round implant may look a little more harsh without a whole lot of breast tissue to cover it. Try to find a plastic surgeon with a Vectra 3-D imaging platform to show you what each of these different implants would look like on your body. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Best breast implant for you

Hello and thank you for your question.  It comes down to YOUR personal preference. If you like the cleavage look displayed when you wear a push-up bra and wish for a similar look when you are naked, then you will definitely want a round implant.  If you like less upper pole fullness, then a shaped device may be better for you.  However, to be honest with you, the shaped devices (although I use a lot of them) do not offer that much more benefit: a recent talk I went to at the American Society for Aesthetic Surgery Meeting in Las Vegas showed the work of a surgeon who performed a study where a shaped implant was placed on one side and a round implant of similar size under the muscle on the other; the conclusion was that after review by many plastic surgeons, there was no clear difference in the shape between the two sides.  Keep in mind that shaped implants have a small risk of malrotation which can affect the appearance of your breasts whereas round implants do not run into this problem.  Also, there are less sizes available in shaped implants and given your asymmetry shown in your picture, I would use two different sized round implants under the muscle.
Keep in mind that there is a lot that goes into implant selection -- your breast volume, the amount of
cleavage you want to achieve, your base width, your rib shape/projection, etc. Also, when it comes to
bra sizes, most women are not accurately sized for their bras. Please  keep in mind that a breast implant is
 a round object (even to a small degree the shaped variation) and has a certain diameter. Your base width on each side of your chest will determine "how big of a ball" or what diameter implant you can reliably go up to with a socially acceptable cosmetic outcome. The implant will "augment" or increase the size of your breasts to an amount acceptable to you and your surgeon. There is no correlation between height and weight and base width; therefore you need an in person examination to be accurately measured. You can also compare the moderate profile with high profile implants and see which look you like most. The profile of the implant will determine how much upper pole fullness and overall projection you portray. 
Make sure to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic breast surgery. I hope this helps answer your question and if you are uncertain about the recommendations made by the surgeon you met with recently, I encourage you to get further consultations. I wish the best of luck to you.
Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

What shape breast implants to choose to suit your body best?

Hi Sam Active,
Thank you for your questions and photos.  In my opinion for most patients with petite anatomy/smaller breasts, either round or shaped/anatomic will give you a good result. The most important question is what type of "look" you want to achieve from your augmentation. This can only be determined with a comprehensive exam and consultation, but I can offer my opinion based on your description of your anatomy and your wishes. 

I have found that for many of my patients that have a body type similar to you, and that want the most natural look, that anatomic (or shaped) implants are the best choice. This type of implant will give you a very natural upper breast slope with a perky and full lower breast shape that usually cannot be achieved with round implants in patients with your body type.  However, if you want a more full, rounded look in your upper breast, and like photos showing results with round implants, then you should likely choose a round implant.
It will take some effort on your part, but my best advice would be to encourage you to schedule in-person consultations with several board certified plastic surgeon in your area who has experience and expertise in breast augmentation and who have multiple before and after photos of results that you like.  Find someone that you are very comfortable with, discuss your options at length, try on implants in the mirror, and look through all the before and after pictures.  Go with the surgeon and staff that you feel most comfortable with, and you should get a great result.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant shape

It is always best to be seen in persons when it comes to sizing you up for implants. Round or shaped can be used. I prefer round for most patients.