How much time off work is recommended for breast lift + Augmentation?

How much time off work is recommended if i sit down all day in an office job? all i do is emails pretty much with minimal movement of my arms. with the exception of toilet breaks etc. Just getting more opinions as i have read alot of different answers Thanks!

Returning to work after breast surgery

Thank you for your question. There are multiple factors that determine how quickly you are able to return to work after a breast augmentation with a breast lift. The first factor is going to be what your job is. As you are sitting most of the day and not in a line of work where you are required to lift anything heavy or have your arms in the air for long periods of time (such as a hair stylist or dog groomer), it is likely that a week off work would be enough for initial recovery. However, you do need to make sure to listen to your body. If you are having trouble returning to work, that can be an indicator that you are doing too much, too quickly. It is very important to pay attention to the signs that your body is giving you. Many of my patients return to very light activities and non-physical work after 3-5 days, depending on their job duties. You will still feel more tired that usual, but swelling and pressure are starting to decrease at this time. However, patients may require longer time off of work with any occupation that is physically demanding or requires heavy lifting. Remember, proper healing relies on adequate time off from strenuous daily activities.

Also, consider the medications you are still taking at that time and whether or not it is safe to work while taking them. If you are still taking muscle relaxers, narcotics, or anything that may impair your mental state, it is most likely too soon to return to work.

Hope this helps.

Nick Slenkovich, MD, FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Recovery Time

Since your job is not too strenuous, it is best to plan taking time off from work according to the below average times. I recommend developing a plan with your board-certified plastic surgeon to ensure and adequate recovery to fully restore and heal. It is also important that you ease back into your regular routine. 

Breast augmentation
  • Above the muscle 3-4 days
  • Below the muscle 4-10 days (avg 7)

Jay Burns, MD

Returning to work after breast lift surgery

Typically patients in my practice take one to two weeks off work after breast lift surgery.  As you work involves very light duties then you may feel comfortable returning to work after a week.  It all depends on your individual rate of recovery.  Heavy lifting and vigorous activity should be avoided for six weeks.

I recommend patients take 2 weeks off of work after a combination breast lift and augmentation.  You are not only recovering from the effects of the actual surgical procedure but also from general anesthesia and the general stress of recovering from surgery.  Although under some circumstances patients can return to a sedentary job after a week in my experience to full weeks of recovery allows you to return to work much more prepared for the normal stresses involved.

Time off work

As a general rule it is 1 week off work, 4 weeks before light exercise and 6 weeks before heavy lifting and exercise and back to completely normal activities.

In general, patients usually take off one week from work.  Avoid heavy lifting for 4 to 6 weeks.  Your surgeon will guide you  through recovery at your post op visits.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Thank you for your question.  Surgeons will vary with their instructions.  In my practice, patients generally return to office duty type of work after 1 week.  They still have restrictions on strenuous activity and heavy lifting for about 4 weeks.  Be sure to consult with an experienced certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS