Are there any recent studies that discuss a patient's well-being after having 'work' done or that outline positive benefits?

Hi All, Working in an academic environment 'getting work done' is akin to going over to the 'Dark Side'. Consequently, I am putting the question out (before I dive into the databases) as to any current studies that you may be aware of that discuss any positive psychological benefits and/or how well-being and daily life is affected? I expect that upon return to work (post botox, filler and peels) I may be met with a few raised eyebrows (and not from too much botox). Thanks in advance.

Positive effects of cosmetic procedures

This is a great question and there are many studies that show the positive effects of having cosmetic procedures.  In my textbook Evaluation and Treatment of the Aging Face there is a chapter by a psychologist about this and Joyce Brothers and I wrote a paper about this many years ago. Go for it!

Nashville Dermatologist

Research is evolving with increasing prevalence of treatments

The evidence base showing improvement in patient-reported well-being scores following non-surgical treatments (such as botulinum toxin, fillers, etc) is now fairly well-established (I hear you heaving a sigh of relief at this, being the analytical academic you are!). 

I will list a couple of "on-the-nose" academic works below, and when you look up those citations on PubMed you will see the related research alongside, and appreciate how the research has evolved with the prevalence of treatment. 

Jandhyala R, J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2013 Sep; 6(9): 41–45. PMCID: PMC3780803

Davan SH, Dermatol Surg. 2010 Dec;36 Suppl 4:2088-97. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2010.01795.x.

There are many more, especially when taken in conjunction with the various aging and wrinkle-scoring systems that have developed. 

In the 2010 study - which was published in Dermatologic Surgery, interestingly, the emphasis was on the benefit to self-esteem in first-time patients, which was then sustained when treatments were repeated.

The 2013 work - note that it is in Clinical Aesthetic Dermatology - is more explorative, and the author has utilised standardised quality of life measures to show how it is not just the appearance that improves, or how they feel about themself, but that it improves other aspects of quality of life, the "intangibles".

One difficulty with getting data and evidence in this area is that there many of us who still see this as the "dark side" may be a bit reluctant to share! The take-home message is essentially that if done right, the benefits far outweigh the risks.

But do not worry, the prevalence of these treatments is reassuringly high. I am certain that you will look up a well qualified medical professional to perform your assessment and treatment, because you have to do it right the first time, get your questions answered, remember that taking control of aging and appearance is an ongoing process. Choose the right doctor, and you will be happy ever after! Good luck.

Aarti Narayan-Denning, MBBS
Southampton Physician

Quality of life better after cosmetic treatments

There are numerous studies showing the positive effect small cosmetic procedures have on mood, productivity, and overall quality of life. I'm sure these can easily be found in google search.

Steven F. Weiner, MD