How is that I used to have teeth showing when I smiled, now I don't? (Photo)
Doctor Answers 2
My upper lip is not too high. Am I still a candidate for lip lift if I don't show any teeth when I open my mouth or smile?
Face changes as we grow up
Yours is a very interesting question. This answer can only suggest a possible explanation.
You have a lovely face, whether you choose to modify it or not.
- You are correct about your short upper lip - you should not have a lip lift.
- What happened between childhood and now was development of the facial bones.
- Your photo suggests that the maxilla ( upper jaw bone) may be under-developed.
- A consultation with a plastic surgeon and an orthognathic surgeon can determine if this is the case.
- Once the cause is known - so are your treatment options.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.