How is that I used to have teeth showing when I smiled, now I don't? (Photo)

I had not much teeth show when I smile since I can remember but I just found a photo when I was a kid (maybe 9 Yo) and my smile was perfect then, what happened to it? I don't think that I am good candidate for lip lift because the area between my lips and nose is't to much so what else can be done?

Face changes as we grow up

Thank you for your question about your lip lift.

Yours is a very interesting question. This answer can only suggest a possible explanation.
You have a lovely face, whether you choose to modify it or not.
  1. You are correct about your short upper lip - you should not have a lip lift.
  2. What happened between childhood and now was development of the facial bones.
  3. Your photo suggests that the maxilla ( upper jaw bone) may be under-developed.
  4. A consultation with a plastic surgeon and an orthognathic surgeon can determine if this is the case.
  5. Once the cause is known - so are your treatment options. 
Hope you find this information helpful.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes.

My upper lip is not too high. Am I still a candidate for lip lift if I don't show any teeth when I open my mouth or smile?

Hi and thank you for your inquiry. There is no question that as we get older the upper lip becomes longer and covers the upper teeth. Most people can show the upper teeth when they smile. This is the reason your teeth were showing when you were a child. The visibility of the upper teeth depends on the length of the upper lip and the length of the maxilla bone and the teeth. If your teeth are positioned high they don't show well even if your lip is not too long. To determine who is a candidate for the procedure, I ask the patient to open their mouth slightly and say "blah". This relaxes the upper lip. If the upper incisor teeth do not show the patient is a candidate for a lip lift. Your upper lip is probable about 1.5 to 1.8 cm it can be as short as 1 cm to allow visibility of your upper teeth. Try to find a surgeon who is interested in this operation and has experience in it, or make trip to Morristown NJ. Good luck.