Are nasolobial folds after losing weight say between 15-25 kg reversible or treatable? How should it be treated?

Just wondering how should it be treated or will it fix itself? If it can be treated perhaps with a filler should the filler be injected in fold or in cheek area? Average cost too? I am 27.

Doctor Answers 3

Lifting of Nasolabial Folds

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear tellebubs:

Thank you for your question.  My recommendation is to see an expert injector for initial cheek reflation with a filler like Voluma and re-assess nasolabial fold 2-4 weeks later.  Average cost varies according to location and expertise of injector.  Hope this information helps.  All the best.

Nasolabial folds and weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Congratulations on your weight loss - that's hard work!   Without seeing you, it is not really possible to tell you how much and where, but fillers may be helpful to replace some of the volume loss in the cheeks which help support the midface.  Nasolabial folds can be difficult to treat well, though, so see someone with experience in this area.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Addressing mid-facial volume loss may be your best option.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Weight loss often leads to mid-facial volume loss creating hollowing in cheeks. It is often best, in this case, to address the underlying cause of the nasolabial fold deformity by adding volume back to the cheeks. I prefer Voluma or Radiesse for this area. The amount of filler needed to achieve full correction would vary from patient to patient but average around 2 syringes (one per cheek). Cost could range from $1300 - $1600. I would recommend booking a consultation with an experienced injector to assess your specific concern. Best of luck! 

Rebecca Weiss, DO
Scottsdale Family Physician

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.