I am a healthy 41. I want to sort out some sun damage and fine wrinkles around the mouth. Which method? (photo)

Laser? Chemical? Other? Which has best results? Likely recovery (off work) time? I am looking to be treated in a month or so. Is there anything I should be doing to prepare? Can I fly straight after treatment (the next day?).

Chemical peel vs laser

Thanks for your post. I would say that you may do better with a light-based treatment, such as Broad Band Light (BBL). That tends to work well for the lightly pigmented areas on your cheek. Chemical peels come in a variety of strengths, and perhaps have more downtime in terms of redness. Keep in mind, you will need to have several treatments to really get the result. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Generally for the type of chemical peel you need, you need to be in the area for about 1 week.

There is no question that chemical peels are far more powerful than the current generation of laser resurfacing.  The factionated laser treatments are designed to minimize the complication seen with deeper CO2 laser.  However deeper treatments are only half the service.  Healing from the treatment requires careful supervision.  This care is required until the skin is completely intact.  Depending on the depth of treatment, this requires about a week or so of careful follow up.  Once the skin is intact, you can travel home.

Laser, chemical peels and other options for improving sun damage

There are many treatment options for improving sun damage. These include chemical peels, laser skin resurfacing, microneedling, topical skin care products, and injectables. I would think that a series of chemical peels or a series of Fraxel Dual or similar resurfacing laser treatments would give you the result you are looking for. The laser treatments will be more intense then the superficial chemical peels and so you may end up choosing a treatment plan based on the downtime you are willing to tolerate. Neither will limit you from working. It is really social downtime in that you may not want to be seen in public during the recovery after a laser when your face is red, swollen, and peeling.