Burning sensation hours after breast lift?

I had a breast lift done at 12:30pm 5/11/16. It took 3.5 hours. It has now been 8 hours since surgery has been completed and I am in intense pain. Under both breast, it feels like it's burning. Especially my left breast. Is this normal? I have taken as many pain meds as I have been prescribed. I have ice packs on the side/bottom of both breast. What should I expect?

Post op recovery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. it is perfectly normal to feel burning sensation, pressure, and also severe pain after this surgery. The first72 hours are the most uncomfortable one's. You will get better.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Change of Sensation During Healing

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will be changing.

If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. Hopefully the sensation has calmed as time went on, but if you are worried it is always best to visit your surgeon.

Discuss with surgeon

You need to contact your surgeon to discuss this pain. You should expect some amount of pain but it shouldn’t be so intense that your pain medications can’t control it. 

Burning pain after breast surgery

It seems like what you describe is normal. There are many causes of postoperative pain. It might certainly be worth a call to your doctor to evaluate your complaints and probably be able to give you some reassurance that this is normal.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Pain 8 hours after surgery

Post operative pain is normal. Excessive pain is not. Lets be straight up here. Why would you get on line and ask this question of strangers and not call you surgeon right away? This is potentially a big deal. Call them!

Mark Eberbach, MD

What you describe sounds normal. One side is always more tender than the other. Your discomfort should ease up a great deal by the 4th day after surgery, with the tenderness getting better every hour until that time. More than 90% of my patients are back to work in an office situation by the fifth day. Hope this information is reassuring. Also, it is a good idea to keep your surgeon in the communication loop as to how you are feeling. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon