Should my breasts be further apart? (photos)

I had a BA in January 2016 and went from a A cup to 520/460cc XHP round textured implants. Symmetry issues. I am happy with my results however I feel as though they are close together and I find myself looking at other womens breast and finding the wider look more appealing. My question my surgeon advised that the placement of my breast is correct and my nipple is entered. I would just like confirmation if this is true and is there a way to widen them?

S/p breast augmentation

Your result is due the insertion of relatively large implants in a relatively narrow breast diameter. The closeness of the implants can be reduced by exchanging for smaller implants or expanding the implant pocket more laterally. Discuss these options with your surgeon.

Implant Width

Textured implants are not designed to be moveable once placed. You could discuss with your surgeon, widening the implant pocket laterally or exchange for narrower/smaller implants.

All the best

Your breast shape still can be changed up to 1-2 year after surgery

You may massage your breast and wear a support bra in order to enlarge your cleavage and make your breast furtherapart. This has to be done within 12 months after surgery as the shape of the breast is still not steady.

However, 2 years after surgery if you find that your breast shape does not meet your requirement still, you may consult a board certified plastic surgeon for a revised procedure.

Implant position

It appears that you have a narrow breast base and selected implants that are fairly wide.  The implant is placed so that the nipple falls in the center of the implant, which yours did.  Based on your anatomy and the size of the implant, the implant was placed properly.

Camille Cash, MD

Too narrow between breasts

It is possible to widen the space between the breasts by reducing the size of the implants or repositioning the pockets.  Additional biologic tissue adjuncts may be helpful to optimize the outcome.  Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that is well experienced in correcting complex revision breast surgery issues.

John McFate, MD

Narrow

You are fairly narrow to begin with and chose large implants. Technically, the implants are in the proper place. However, they could be moved slightly to the outside if you were OK with more breasts in that area, or choose smaller implants.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Are my breasts too close together?

You have a near seamster appearance which is likely secondary to the narrowness of your breasts base width preoperatively and width of the large implants you chose.  If the implants are positioned more laterally and the medial pockets are closed down and reinforced to prevent recurrent closeness, the implants may appear to be centered lateral to the nipple areolar complexes and the nipples may point more towards the middle rather than straight ahead.  You should discuss your concerns and options with your surgeon.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Should my breasts be further apart?

Your concerns are understandable. The photographs demonstrate that your breast implants are close to one another; there is no symmastia present. One clear indication that the breast implants are too close to one another is the malposition of each nipple/areola complex on each breast mound.  In other words, the nipple/areola complexes are off slightly centered on each breast mound. Also, one of your breast implants sits somewhat low on your chest wall compared to the other.

Revisionary breast surgery will be helpful when it comes to  improving your breast implants' position.  In my practice, I have had the most success with these types of revisionary operations utilizing capsulorraphy techniques along with  the use of acellular dermal matrix (to support the attenuated tissues along the medial/cleavage  breast borders). 

Obviously, the pros/cons associated with revisionary breast surgery  should be carefully considered prior to making decisions whether or not to undergo further surgery. 

You may find the attached link, dedicated to this type of revisionary breast surgery, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Are they too close together?

From your photographs, it appears that a fairly large implant was placed into a small diameter breast. With the implant apparently centered on the nipple, there isn't a whole lot of room for the implants to move towards each other without appearing to be very close to each other. This is fixable with another procedure either with a new sub muscular pocket slightly wider than the one you have, or closing this area off and using a piece of Strattice to disallow the implant from moving as far inward as we would like. Overall, however, I think your result looks very good. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS