Can breast implants be put in through periareolar incisions if the patient has alot of breast tissue?

Im a natural 34D. Having my areolas reduced is a big priority and i was hoping to save on scarring by using this method. Is this unwise/unrealistic?

Thank you for the question. Both the infra mammary and infra areolar incisions are good approaches.  I personally, having used each incisional approach several thousand times, prefer the infra areolar approach for most patients, undergoing first time and revisionary breast augmentation surgery. Given that you wish to have the areola reduced, I would certainly place your breast implants through the infra areolar approach.    Generally speaking, I think the advantages of the infraareolar incision far outweigh any theoretical disadvantages. These advantages include proximity to the planned dual plane submuscular pocket dissection,  relatively hidden/forgiving location of scarring,  coverage by clothing/swimming suit etc.

In my practice, I use the funnel for all breast augmentation procedures involving silicone gel breast implants of all sizes. I believe that the use of the funnel allows for the use of a smaller incision and for easier breast implant insertion ( allowing for a “no touch technique” and no contact of the breast implant with the patient's skin). Hopefully, in the longer term, it will be shown to  definitively decrease the incidence of encapsulation as well. Best wishes.