How bad is the pain after Breast Augmentation surgery? (photos)

Hi, I am booked to go in for surgery on December 8th 2014, and I am (naturally) excited but also nervous. The thing I am most nervous about is the pain afterwards. I am 36B - and my doctor has recommended I go with 355cc for the natural result I am after. Moderate profile, Naturelle impants. Take a look at the 3D imagery from my consult. What can I expect after surgery with this type of implant ... Alot of pain ?

What is the level of pain after breast augmentation

You have raised a very common concern.  Each patient's recovery is individual but most people report mild discomfort for up to five days after breast augmentation.  Swelling are bruising are usually at their optimum around days three to five. Many people return to office  based work a few days after surgery.  Mild pain relief is often prescribed for the first few days.  I often have to encourage patients to slow down after surgery as they are keen to return to normal activity very quickly. Its important to follow your post operative guidelines for a smooth recovery and discuss any concerns you have in advance with your surgeon.

RapidRecovery after breast augmentation

Thanks for sharing your question.

Post operative recovery has been very closely examined in the last several years and most plastic surgeons are very careful to take measures to limit any pain after surgery.  Some mild discomfort is normal, but many of my patients are able to resume light activity early after surgery.  In certain cases I will actually suggest that they can go out to dinner the night after surgery if they wish.  Discuss your postoperative care with your surgeon to get detailed instructions.

Best of Luck,

Steven Camp, MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. It is only natural to be concerned or nervous before surgery. Every patients pain tolerance is going to be different. However, the main goal is to make recovery as easy as possible. You will be prescribed some type of pain medication to help with any pain. Although, it is still normal to experience some mild pain or discomfort within the first week after surgery. Patients usually return to work a few days after surgery (depending on type of work). Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeonHoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrookChcago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

It is very common for patients to ask this question before surgery. Each patient is different and has a different pain tolerance. Discomfort is normal after sugrery many patients use the pain medications for this discomfort. Almost all patients are back to work\ mild acitivities at 5 days. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Pain after Breast Augmentation Surgery

Breast Augmentation can be a painful surgery, especially when placing the implant under the muscle.  The good news is that there are pain medications to help you get through the first several day.  My patients typically use pain medication from 1 to 5 days on average.  Pain tolerance is different for every person.  Make sure you express your concerns to your doctor to make sure you have adequate pain relief.

Pain after breast augmentation

Hi there and thanks for your question,

Pain is so variable from patient to patient after any operation. Having said that breast augmentation is generally not too bad. Most surgeons will use some local anaesthetic in the wound, so apart from that you will feel some tightness but not specifically pain.

No doubt you will receive some pain killers to go home with. 

By the way your 3D images look great.

All the best

How bad is the pain after Breast Augmentation surgery?

Every patient is different. Generally speaking- normal consequences are: moderate pain and discomfort 5-10 days following surgery. We usually discuss this during a pre-op

Post op pain

Thank you for your question. Pain is subjective and varies from patient to patient based on tolerance levels, etc. Most of my patients complain of pain for 2-3 days following augmentation and report a definite decrease by day three. In my practice we use anti-inflammatory meds in conjunction with pain meds, and this seems more effective than pain meds alone. As Dr. Ching stated, most patients are able to resume normal activity within 1 week with the exception of heavy lifting and strenuous exercise. I hope this helps to relieve your anxiety somewhat, and I wish you the best of luck.

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Postop recovery

Typically after breast augmentation you will feel pressue, tightness, and some discomfort. Patients usually take pain medication for about 48 hours on average, some less, and some longer. After those first couple days you will start feeling much better and should be doing a lot of your normal activities, but with less intensity of course. They will still feel tight and have some pressure but most patients arent taking pain meds of any kind after that initial period. Good luck and congratulations.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Physician

The pain can be quite tolerable.  In my practice we inject local anesthetic at the incision site, perform an intercostal block and place local anesthetic in the pocket.   This drastically reduces the pain after the surgery.  Typically patients leave 1 hour after they reach the recovery area after the surgery. 

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon