Tummy tuck. Can I get it done while I still have breast milk?

I am getting a tummy tuck done in April. My thing is I am still breastfeeding my son. Can I still get it done while I still have breast milk

Can I get it done while I still have breast milk?

You should be done with breast feeding before considering elective surgery. You may need to postpone the surgery. Good luck. Dean Vistnes.  

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck while breastfeeding

You should finish breastfeeding before considering getting your tummy tuck.  Physicians opinions may differ in the amount of time you should wait, so it is best to check with your surgeon for her recommendation. Best wishes.

Camille Cash, MD

Thank you for the question. Yes, you can undergo tummy tuck surgery while you "still have breastmilk" but you should not plan on breast-feeding. The concern, of course would be "transferring" medications you receive to the child through the breast milk.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Thanks for your question. If you are still breastfeeding, then you shouldn't undergo any type of cosmetic surgery. It is recommended to wait at least 6 months to allow the body to stabilize.

German Newall, MD

Tummy Tuck

It is my pleasure to answer your question. I recommend you to have Surgery after you finish the breastfeeding process. 

Aramis Vega, MD