I have my consultation on Tuesday; besides my list of questions is there anything else that I should bring?
What Do I Need to Bring to my Consultation?
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 5
The plastic surgery consultation
Don't be afraid to ask questions at your consultation, no matter how trivial or how personal you think they'll sound. It's a good idea to write down your questions before hand,and to make a note of the surgeon's answers as well.
The components of a good consultation are:
1. The surgeon should answer all of your questions thoroughly, in language you can understand.
2. They should ask about your motivations and expectations, discuss them with you, as well as solicit your reaction to their recommendations.
3. The surgeon should offer alternatives, where appropriate, without pressuring you to consider unnecessary procedures. Be wary of surgeons who try to group too many procedures together at one time or sign you up for overly lengthy procedures.
4. Your plastic surgeon should welcome questions about their professional qualifications, experience, costs, and payment policies.
5. He/she should make clear not only the risks of surgery but possible variations in outcome. If the surgeon shows you photographs of other patients, or uses computer imaging to show you possible results, it should be clear that there is no guarantee that your results will match these.
6. The plastic surgeon should clearly go over the postoperative instructions in order for you to achieve the best results. Aftercare is as important as your surgery and the plastic surgeon who performs it. If an overnight stay at a care facility is required it should be taken care of, as safety should be your first priority.
7. If the plastic surgeon suggests billing your health insurance for a non-covered cosmetic procedure you should know that you would be commiting insurance fraud - which is a felony. You want your surgeon to be honest with you - if the plastic surgeon would mislead an insurance company they will just as easily lie to you.
8. Your surgeon should make sure the final decision is yours.
What shall I bring to my PlasticSurgery Consultation?
Preparing for Your Consultation
What your surgeon most needs to effectively help you is information. If it is available, obtain a copy of the doctor's medical history form and take time to accurately fill it out. Make sure that you list all of the medications that you take, prescription and non-prescription. Also, make sure that you have a listing of all the skin care products that you use. I am amazed at how many people come in to my office and really have little idea of what they are applying to their skin.
In addition, bring whatever you need to tell your story. I see my job as trying to help you meet your aesthetic objective. If you don't want to look like your mother, bring in a photo so you can point out what it is that you don't like. If you want your lips to look a certain way, bring in a magazine and show the doctor an example of what you want to achieve. If you read an article, bring it with you. The more I know about what you want and don't want, the more effectively I can do my job.
You might also like...
Plastic surgery consultation
Besides bringing your list of questions, bring with you the request from your surgeon (not a consultant or nurse) to describe as best as possible what they expect your result might be like so that you can be sure that your expectations will be met or exceeded by what the doctor routinely expects from your starting point.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.