Help! Meant to be having rhinoplasty in 3 weeks and last night I injured my nose at work. Can I still have it done? (photo)

A metal cage fell from a height and whacked me on my nose bridge. Spent hours at the hospital, the doctor told me I was lucky and didn't seem broken. Very painful today though. My question is, will it be ok to go ahead with the surgery in 3 weeks? I only had a tiny bit of blood from inside the nose, th outside cut bled a lot.

Nasal trauma prior to rhinoplasty

You should contact your rhinoplasty surgeon and discuss the incidence with him or her. Chances are that your surgeon wants to see you in person to assess the extent of your injury. This will determine the optimal timing for your rhinoplasty operation. Best wishes!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal trauma prior to rhinoplasty

I'm sorry to hear about your recent trauma. I would wait a couple of months prior to considering rhinoplasty for best results. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma to the nose prior to a rhinoplasty procedure

Trauma to the nose is going to cause excessive swelling and bruising, therefore the surgery may need to be postponed. In addition, the laceration to the nose will need to heal on its own prior to undergoing elective cosmetic surgery on the nose. It is always best to check with your operative surgeon. For more information  and many examples of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Injury before rhinoplasty

I would suggest getting in touch with your plastic surgeon asap for an in person consultation. While your photo is helpful, it is impossible to tell the state of your nose after your injury without seeing you in person. 

Injury prior to rhinoplasty

You'll need to visit and discuss this with your surgeon as soon as possible. What is found on your exam and how much your swelling goes down will influence the timing answer. Better to have happened now than afterwards! Good luck!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon