Incision under armpit still opened and oozing 3 weeks after gynacomastia surgery. Is there a way to help the healing process?

Hi guys, had my surgery for gyna/lipo and everything's fine apart from my left side under the armpit the wound is still open and I wake up with loads of liquid type stuff on my garment that I'm still wearing, didn't know if there was any way of helping the healing process along or will it just take time?

Gynecomastia healing questions

Hard to answer question with out more information.  Was the incision under the arm for liposuction or was it for the open removal of breast tissue.

Incision Still Opened and Oozing After 3 Weeks

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Now, with the oozing that you mention there is a chance that something is wrong with the healing process and it would be best to visit your surgeon to have the area examined to make sure everything is okay or if there is an infection or other problem.

Oozing after gynecomastia surgery

I would recommend you return to your surgeon to make sure you are healing as expected.  It sounds like you are wearing your garment as instructed.  It is always safe to see your surgeon to make sure that you are progressing as expected and gives you the opportunity to communicate your concerns and answer any questions you still have. 

Denis L. Gonyon, Jr., MD
Fort Collins Plastic Surgeon

You need to see your doctor

Your wound needs to be a checked by a physician to determine source of your drainage.  Internet will not help. Call your doctor.

Vasdev Rai, MD