Is it common for stitches to break on post op day 4? I had a Breast lift, reduction and implants (Photos)

I got lift, reduction and implants 450 cc under muscle on July 21,2016 on day 4 the stitches broke in my left breast. Is this the doctors fault or mine. Should I have to pay the surgeon to fix this or should he fix it no charge? What surgery is needed to fix it?

Stitches Break on P.O. Day 4?

Pre-operative photos would also have been useful in analyzing what has gone wrong, but based on your photos and description of your procedure it was likely that you had a large very saggy breast to start with. If that was the case, then the problem is not one of a suture breaking on one side(actually both sides are very messed up), but rather this was an operation that was doomed to fail from the beginning. The combination of a simultaneous lift plus implant is a very complex and demanding operation and there several studies that confirm a very high (30% or more) revision rate. The greater the amount of lift that is needed, and the larger the implant, the greater the risk of a poor outcome and need for revision. Hopefully your surgeon discussed with you before the surgery that the risk of needing a revision was significantly elevated and they provided you with a clear description of their revision policies and fees. 

Patients that have a large degree of ptosis or sagging, or who would like to have a larger implant, are much better off having these two procedures done in stages. That is not to say that it can't be done in a single stage in certain circumstances, but a large number of patients will not end up with a good outcome if the surgery is attempted to be completed in a single operation. Understandably patients would rather not have to have two separate operations each with their own anesthetic, recovery, and expense. The problem is that if a revision is needed, they are usually complicated and require a revision of both the lift and implant, and the expense will easily exceed what it would have been if the operation was performed in two stages. It is worth asking if your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and if not you should look for someone who is and who has extensive experience in revision breast surgery. 

Sutures breaking four days after a reduction, lift and augmentation

Thank you for your question and it is uncommon for your sutures to break open after four days but it can happen.  I would recommend you visit your surgeon and discuss this problem in more detail. I will take several weeks to see how everything heals and drops into place so I would be patient at this time but after six months there will be little change in your result.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation Mastopexy

I would not have your surgeon do anymore surgery on you.  Please visit a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specializes in revision breast surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS