Wondering if I would be a good candidate for overs? (photos)

5ft 105lbs. Mom of 4 breast fed children. I am currently an A cup, slightly asymmetrical. While nursing I accommodate large DDs. I'm hoping I'll be a good candidate for overs to fill what I once used to have. Since I do have small children at home I need an easier recovery option but I also prefer the look of most overs I have seen. I'm seeing a board certified surgeon at the end of the month. I'd like to go with 400cc round overs. Do you think this is a good option for my anatomy?

Over or under

I am less concerned about over or under than I am about your wish pictures.  I think that unless you have a lift , you will not get the perky breasts that you show in your wish list.i think you can have a very attractive augmentation, but it wont look like the pictures that you showed.  curious what your consult says

Newark Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a good candidate for a breast augmentation.  There are advantages and disadvantages of over vs under the muscle.  One disadvantage of over the muscle is the higher risk of capsular contracture and rippling.  It is an easier recovery time.  The best way to determine the best technique for you is through an in-person consultation.  The size, shape, and contour of the implant and location of the implant (over vs under muscle) is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Over or Under?

I think you would do well with an above-the muscle implant. There are a lot more choices in implants than before and your photos show sufficient tissue. That being said, you should consult with your PS to make sure they evaluate for the possibility of a lift as well.

Happy hunting,

C. Coleman Brown, MD, FACS
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Implants over the muscle are a short term solution

Implants placed over the muscle have a lot of issues -- more interference with mammography, higher visibility and palpability, thins the tissues, and most of all a higher risk of capsular contracture.  I have fixed MANY implants placed over the muscle and the solution is to put them under the muscle.  The recovery is nearly identical! Don't make the mistake many have made before you -- discuss it with your surgeon.

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants over muscle

A little more lift can be expected over the muscle with a more natural look and shorter recovery. There may be a slightly higher incicend of capsule reported.

A good option would be higher filled gel Sientras or Natrelle Inspiras for more lift and less rippling.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations.

Harry T. Haramis, MD, FACS
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants - Under or over.

Thanks for your question and the photos. There are pros and cons to over and unders, but in general I am more of a fan of under. Under the muscle tends to look more natural, Mammography is better, Infection rate is lower and the risk of capsular contracture is lower. While in the short term you may fill the skin more, over time a sub glandular implant may descend giving a "rock in a sock look". You PS will be able to guide you and give you even further information regarding size and position. The link below may help as well.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

Yes, I do think you can get subfacial or subglandular implants, you have enough coverage for them. Concerning the size, you should try sizers at your surgeon office before making a final decision but I do think 400 will be OK for you.

Best of luc, 

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Under or over muscle for breast augmentation surgery?

Thank you for the question. There are pros and cons to the placement of breast implants in the “sub muscular” position versus the "sub glandular position”.    I will try to outline some of the differences here;  you may find the attached link helpful as well. 

I think it is in the best interests of most patients seeking breast augmentation surgery to have implants placed in the “dual plane” or sub muscular position.  This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look  of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability  of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes). The submuscular positioning  also tends to interfere with mammography less so than breast implants in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular  contraction)  is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position. 

On the other hand,  sub glandular breast implant positioning does not have the potential downside of “animation deformity” ( movement/ distortion of the breast implants  seen with flexion of the  pectoralis major muscle)  they can be seen with breast implants placed in these sub muscular position.    Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Breast Implants/Breast Reduction/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  

Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture.  Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Over the muscle breast implants - risks and complications

The problem with over the muscle breast implants is that they don't have any support and will not stay in place for very long. They do look great initially, but often make their way down your chest wall after just a couple of years. Obviously, the larger they are - the heavier they are - the sooner you will need revisionary surgery. I strongly recommend you visit the breast augmentation revision forum on this site to see the type of complications associated with long term over the muscle implants. You are also at higher risk of: chronic pain, capsular contracture, malposition, skin stretch deformities, irreversible soft tissue damage, nipple numbness, etc. Do your homework. This site is a great place to start. I hope this helps.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon