I am hoping to go with 450cc silicone round under muscle. Do you think it will achieve the look I'm going for?

I am hoping to go with 450cc silicone round under muscle. I'd like to achieve a slightly unnatural look (leaning towards the fake side) with them being quite large yet still comfortable for my small frame. 5'0" 105lbs.

Implant Sizing

Hello,Your description of 'what you want' is so subjective and vague, to rely on this and go to the operating room would be questionable.  There are really two questions here, what will the breast themselves look like, and what will your proportions be. The former can only be answered by having your ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon show you before and after photos of women who looked similar to you prior to surgery, and had relatively similar sized implants placed.  The latter is best elucidated using in office sizers to determine how you like to look in the mirror. More important then your aesthetic goal is your anatomic capacity to hold the implant. Given your stated size and your appearance in the picture, I believe your choice will be too big and place you at higher risk for complications than necessary. Best of luck!

Size is fine

You will be fine with 450 cc implants.  I would only add that with your slight mammary ptosis you might want to consider silicone implants on top of the muscle to give you a little more lift by filling up the loose skin envelope.  Under the muscle would also be fine, just something to consider.Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “slightly unnatural” or "C or D cup”  or "fake look" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Thank you for your question.  I personally would be very concerned about placing such large 450 cc breast implants on top of the chest muscle and underneath the breast.  You already have some ptosis or sagging and my concern is that implants on top of the muscle will cause further sagging.  In addition such a large implants Often be visible and end up with the "grapefruit in a sock" appearance.  Please see an experienced a board certified plastic surgeon.

At your height and weight the 450cc implant will give giving you a very large, round and fake look. For most patients with your stature we find 270 - 320 gives a nice full C or small D look. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thanks for your picture and question.  Without a wish pic to compare to, it is hard to determine what you specifically mean by a "fake" look.  Everybody has their own interpretation of this appearance.  Also, without measurements and an in person exam, it is hard to give advice on what 450 cc implants would give you.  Make sure you have a detailed discussion with your chosen surgeon before surgery.

Naveen Setty, MD

Breast sizing

Thanks for your inquiry, but without measurements of your breast it is impossible to advise.  The implant width ideally should not be wider than your chest width.  Please discuss this relationship with your surgeon and good luck.  

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Best size for you?

Hard to answer this question without specific breast measurements AND an in person exam. Remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. Remember also that sizers will only give you a rough estimate and textured implants tend to be firmer than smooth gel implants. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. Good luck!!