Eyelid drooping & bad under one eye. Any suggestions? (photos)

1 month after surgery, my eyes looked amazing, still a bit swollen, but the bags & drooping eyelids were gone. Now, after 3 months and one eye has a bag under it and the eyelids seem to be drooping again. Is this normal? Am I still healing & will there be changes as time goes on? This is very upsetting to me since it was not a cheap surgery and not pleasant healing from it. I am posting 2 pictures, the 1st one is one month after. The 2nd picture is current, slightly after 3 months.

Swelling Creates Volume

You pose an interesting situation, and I’m sorry for your disappointment. Once surgical procedures are done such as blepharoplasty or face lift in particular, there is swelling that creates volume, and many times, that additional volume creates a more youthful and natural look. This is especially true in facelift surgery where 6 months later the patients may look skeletonized and volume deficient whereas after the first month look great. 

I would speak with your doctor regarding your concerns. Often there are ways to correct if volume is the issue to add volume to the area around the eyes. Injections and fillers around the eyes are off-label and need to be done by an expert. It is difficult to tell from the photos. There are malar bags called festoons that sometimes appear after surgery, and they may have been there the entire time but have been uncovered once other areas look better. Festoons can be treated in multiple ways including several advanced radiofrequency devices that we use. Best of luck!

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid droopy after surgery

Best to see an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation. Your lower eyelids are retracted or ectropion. There is also under eye fullness. Revision lower eyelid surgery may be beneficial.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. Yes, you are still healing and you will experience changes as you continue to recover. Please continue to apply ice packs via frozen peas to assist your healing process. Always update your board certified facial plastic surgeon as to your healing process.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

At 3 months you are still healing. You hold give it at least 6months or more to settle down and then re-evalaute.

Complication after Blepharoplasty?

It is difficult to give you sound medical advice with two pictures at one month and three months after surgery. In general, it takes 6 months to as much as 1 year to see the final result. It is possible to inject a steroid into the lower lid to decrease scarring and potentially allow the lower lid to rise into better position.With that being said, you should consult your plastic surgeon and express your concerns. If you are not satisfied with the explanation or plan, you should consult another board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Your eyelids have been skeletonize from your eyelid surgery.

The upper eyelids are thin and hollow.  There is no support for the upper eyelid lashes and the upper eyelid fold is over thinned.  The lower eyelids are lower eyelids are vertically pulled down.  The problem here is that the transcutaneous lower eyelid surgery you had damages motor nerves to the lower eyelid.  To compensate surgeons perform lateral cathal procedures and this causes the lower eyelid to bow laterally along the contour of the eye which is unnatural in appearance. All of these issues can be improved with reconstructive surgery.  Unfortunately, these issues are not likely to get better on their own.