Is there corrective surgery for a twisted/asymmetrical nose like this? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty to fix a deviated septum and make my nose less bulbous. Now I feel like one side of my nostril is noticeably higher than the other, making it look asymmetrical and twisted. Is corrective surgery possible?

Revision rhinoplasty for asymmetrical nose

Yes, a revision rhinoplasty can address these issues. It appears you have alar retraction worse on the right with a hanging columella that is contributing to asymmetry of your nose. Revision rhinoplasty can help improve this alar retraction with an alar rim graft.

It also appears that the insertion of the ala on the right appears higher than the left. This would need to be further reviewed with your surgeon with pre and post operative pictures. The insertion point may not be symmetric but the overall alar symmetry can be improved.

It is important that you seek evaluation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can determine if you have adequate support structures in your nose to help maintain your cosmetic result and also appropriate functioning of your nose. At the time of your revision surgery, any deficits in your nasal support could then be addressed.

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry

Asymmetry of the nostrils can be improved but not completely corrected.  A higher nostril can be brought on by using skin and cartilage graft inside the nose.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

It is important to see photos of your nose before surgery to evaluate whether there was any asymmetry prior to the procedure which was not apparent until after the surgery.  The asymmetry may be due to one or more of the following:
Skin and soft tissue (was any of this present before the procedure?)

Nasal tip - alar cartilages

Mid third of the nose - upper lateral cartilages

A revision procedure should address any of the asymmetry that is present to improve on the 'twisting."

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is there corrective surgery for a twisted/asymmetrical nose like this?

The nose is a three-dimensional structure, therefore a full set of photographs are required to make a determination about straightening the crooked nose. In addition, the old records from the prior surgery would be helpful to understand what was accomplished. It's also important to wait at least one year before embarking on a revision rhinoplasty to allow full healing. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Alar retraction

your secondary rhinoplasty deformity is fairly common in that you have an 'inverted v' deformity where your dorsum was resected and tip asymmetry/alar retraction likely secondary to 'trimming' of your tip cartilages

I always recommend visiting several real rhinoplasty experts that devote a significant portion of their practice to rhinoplasty and do many revisions

Good luck....

Revision, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns about your Rhinoplasty with us.

After having analyzed all the info and photos provided to us, i recommend to perform a Secondary Rhinoplasty (not a tip revision) this means (basically) treat the nasal bones and the nasal cartilages.
Therefore i would perform a narrowing of the nasal base (nose osteotomy) and alar and triangular cartilage shaping.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Twisted nose, hanging columella, asymmetric nostrils

Yes!  Some of the features of your nose appear as though you have had previous surgery.  The fleshy tissue between the nostrils  is too visible, the side margins of the nostrils are asymmetric and the dorsum of the nose is  crooked.   All of these things can be corrected and will require cartilage grafting to create the desired structural, skeletal, components of the nose to dictate the shape.  All of this can be achieved with the desired outcome of symmetry, refinement and a more feminine nose. On occasion it is necessary to fracture, break, the nose in order to straighten the nasal dorsum.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose

questionss123, the L side of your face is evidently bigger than the R as evidenced by the location of the base of your nostrils; this part you cannot change. the rest of your nose you can. See an experienced expert that does "only faces" as has done so for decades. See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

It is always great to review preop photos. Many times nostril bases are different from side to side before surgery as well.

Revision Rhinoplasty

A revision rhinoplasty can fix your asymmetry. There is a 10% historic rate for revision after your first rhinoplasty procedure, some requiring more extensive work than others. I recommend obtaining an expert's consultation to achieve the best outcome possible. 

David Shamouelian, MD

David Shamouelian, MD