I want to know if a Black 79 year old active retired LPN Nurse can have a tummy tuck

I just had my implants change to gummy bear in February.I have rheumatoid Arthritis which I get Orencia once a month they stop it when I have surgery and start back when all stitches heals. My skin is in good shape my stomach has never been cut on I had a vaginal Hysterectomy. Five live births my stomach after my back slow me down. I need a core to hold it in place I am not having any luck getting one back I feel my back would be better if my stomach was not so flabby. What do you think can you help.

Tummy Tuck At 79?

Thank you for your question!  There is no age limit on cosmetic surgery as long as you are in good health!  I would advise you to seek a board certified plastic surgeon and consult with him or her.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Chicago Hoffman Estates Oak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Age Not a Restriction for Tummy Tuck

Age is not a restriction from having a tummy tuck. More important is your overall health, exactly what you'd like to accomplish and a realistic view of what can and could be accomplished. More specific information about a tummy tuck can be found in the link below.

Generally a tummy tuck takes about two and a half hours of surgery with the majority of the recovery taking about 7-10 days. Full recovery without restrictions is about 6 weeks if muscle tightening is performed.

For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy tuck at 79 years old

You most certainly are not too old to undergo procedure. I recommend that my patients undergo a stress test to see if their heart is healthy enough to undergo anesthesia. Medical clearance from your primary physician is also necessary. Hope this helps.

79 yrs Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. Age is not a contraindication for surgery. Your general health is important. Sounds like you are active.  Pl see a PS for evaluation for surgery and risk benefit assessment. 

Is age 79 too old for tummy tuck

Your age is certainly not a contraindication to having a tummy tuck. There are a number of factors that are more important: Your general health, individual anatomy, realistic expectations, and a full understanding of the benefits as well as the potential problems that can occur with the procedure.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. If you decide to undergo the procedure, I would suggest a medical clearance from your primary physician before proceeding with a tummy tuck.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Is age 79 too old for tummy tuck

There is no absolute age cut off for tummy tuck.  Overall health  is the most important criteria, and it sounds like you would be a reasonable candidate.  Recovery in terms of fatigue and return to full energy and activity due to take longer with age.  I would encourage you to consider choosing a surgeon who could do the procedure with sedation rather than general anesthesia to reduce risk, and alter the procedure slightly to reduce the potential for postoperative complications.   I would choose your surgeon carefully, and make sure they have a large experience.

Assuming you are otherwise healthy, a no-drain tummy tuck combined with liposuction would give a nice result and may be done with deep sedation. 

See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Age restriction on tummy tuck

Hello, there is no specific age cutoff for abdominoplasty surgery, but the surgeon would need to evaluate your overall health and perform a thorough abdominal exam to determine whether a tummy tuck is appropriate for you.