Is it best to get a breast lift with an implant or without an implant for the best look?

I am 53 years old and my main concern is to correct my sagging breasts.

If I had had a chance to see your breasts and review I would have given a better reply for your question. Because it is totally depends on what you have and then what you will need. If your nipples are high and if your skin is not loose then an implant can be enough to get a satisfactory result.I believe the best option would be visiting a board certified plastic surgeon in your neighborhood and listen what he or she says.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

The answer to this really depends on your personal goals

If your primary concern is sagging rather than wanting a larger breast size, there’s no reason you need to include implants with your breast lift at all. A combination breast lift plus implants is performed for women who want to improve the appearance of droopy breasts as well as increase the volume of their breasts. Many women are very happy with the results of a breast lift performed on its own, without the addition of implants. When you schedule a consultation with your plastic surgeon, be sure to bring along some photos of the look you hope to achieve. From there, he or she can advise you on whether a lift alone or a lift plus implants would be the best option to help you meet that goal.

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift, augmentation or both?

While many women want their breasts and their nipples to be in a higher position on their chest, others want increased fullness of their breasts. Oftentimes, these two choices don't have to be mutually exclusive. The  raised nipples can typically be achieved with a breast lift (mastopexy) while fullness can be obtained with an implant for an augmentation.  What we see most in my office is the desire for increased perkiness.... A breast that has a higher position on the chest with a small amount of increased fullness. Many times this can be achieved with a simultaneous breast lift with augmentation. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help understand d your goals and desires.  A physical exam is necessary to assess the amount of droopiness of your breasts and determine which procedure is right for you and your desires. Good luck. 

Breast Lift with Augmentation

A beast lift and a breast augmentation are really two different procedures. A breast augmentation uses implants to increase the size and fullness of the breasts. A breast lift (mastopexy) reshapes the existing breast (without making it larger) to raise the height of the nipple and shift some of the existing breast tissue up on the chest wall. These operations can sometimes be done together –depending upon how large an implant is chosen for the augmentation. (A very large implant may make it unsafe to perform both procedures at the same time.)

The bottom line is that if you are satisfied with the volume (size) of your breasts then an breast lift alone should get you the desires results. There are techniques that we use commonly to increase the "perkiness" of the breasts during a lift that offer very long lasting results - virtually the "look" of an augmentation without the implants and without the increase in size.

If you want larger breasts, then the only way to reliably accomplish this is through the addition of implants.

Seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and competence in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

This is a great question. It is best answered by coming in to see me. A lift is most appropriate to correct the sagging. Implants do give some fullness up top and are helpful in many patients. A lot will depend on how much existing breast tissue you have. Call my office to schedule a visit!

Breast Lift and Augmentation

You are asking a very good question and one that is difficult to answer.  The reason is that the decision as to whether an implant will enhance a lift varies considerably with each patient.  Some patients have essentially "deflated" and need some volume replacement to obtain a pleasing aesthetic result.  Some patients may have adequate volume overall but would benefit from an implant to achieve more fullness in the upper portion of the breasts.  On the other hand, some patients are droopy because they have rather large breasts in which case an implant may be counter-productive and, in fact, they may benefit from a breast reduction.  Finally, there are patients who might benefit from breast augmentation but, because of their extremely loose tissue, may be advised to have a breast lift first and then return for augmentation in 6 months or so.  Obviously it is not possible to advise you in this forum so you would be best served to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs these procedures frequently.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with or without implants

A breast lift will elevate your breasts and give you a perkier shape to your breasts.  Implants will simply add volume to your breasts.  If you are happy with your current cup size then implants may not be needed and a breast lift alone should give you the result you want.  If you want a slightly larger cup size then implants can be used either in conjunction with the breast lift or in a second surgery later on.  You did not provide a picture so my response is a general one.  I would suggest that you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and review your options.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Are implants necessary for the best breast lift result?

Many patients believe that implants will give them a better outcome when lifting the breast. This is not always the case. In fact, it really depends on the patient's desires. If you feel that you have enough volume currently but are not happy with the position of your breasts, then I would not recommend an implant. If you thik the volume is deficient, then I would suggest considering an implant.
As many surgeons will tell you, the augmentation-mastopexy is one of the more challenging procedures we do because of all the variables it entails. There are many factors and each patient is uniquely different.
Often a lift alone will suffice in providing the best result for most patients.

A breast implant is not necessary to get a good result from mastopexy.

The only reason to use a breast implant at the time of mastopexy is if you want to be larger. A breast implant is not necessary for a good result from a mastopexy.

A breast lift will address nipple position and ptosis (drooping) of the breast but will not address fullness.  If anything most women will end up wearing a smaller bra after lift alone.  If you desire increased fullness specifically on the upper portion of the breast an implant is needed.  If you are on the fence you can always perform the lift and wait 4-6 months and have implants place if you want more fullness.  This can actually have advantages in term of decreased risk of complications. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon