Can pain occur with grade 2 or 3 CC? (photos)

Hello Doctor, thank you for answering my question! I'm not sure what grade of CC I have, 2 or 3 I think. My implant feels hard but not totally rock hard and the breast tissue around it is soft, I think it appears abnormal compared to the other breast but it's very painful and the research I've done only says grade 4 is where pain occurs. Is the pain from something else and I'm only thinking it's from the CC? Does it look like grade 4? It seems The hardness/pain is the top/middle of the implant.

Capsular contractures

are graded as mentioned by others... and once there is a component of pain, the contracture becomes a grade IV.  If you didn't have pain, you would have a grade III due to the distortion visible.

Capsular contraction

You will need a physical exam and possibly some diagnostic imaging to sort out whether the breast pain is from your capsular contracture, or from something else in the breast.

But based on the shape in the photos, I would say you have at least a grade 3 CC.

Capsular contracure 101

Grade 1- the breast is normally soft and appears natural in size and shape

Grade 2- breast is slightly firm but appears normal

Grade 3- the breast is firm and appears abnormal

Grade 4- breas tis hard , painful to touch an appears abnormal.

Therefore, Grade 4 is when there is pain in the breast. 

The only way to know for sure is to be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon who performs many cosmetic procedures as well as revisions. Based on the picture you have provided, it appears as though your right breast is contracted compared to the left. If is causing you pain then this would be grade 4.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Can pain occur with grade 2 or 3 capsular contracture around breast implant?

Thank you for your question.  He has pain can occur with early grade 2 and grade 3 capsular contracture.  We're appearance also suggest this diagnosis.  Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination, diagnosis and treatment plan.