What is the cost of implant removal along with removal of capsular contracture on one side with a breast lift?

Hello Doctors, I want my implants of 2.5 years removed due to painful capsular contracture and would like a lift instead. I'm in the Seattle area and wanting to know what to except with cost. I'm currently breastfeeding. How long after I'm done nursing can I have this type of procedure done? Is there anything that can be done right now to help with the pain from cc?

I recommend my patients wait 3-6 months after they stop breast-feeding before undergoing breast surgery. Plastic surgery pieces are based on two factors. The planned procedures and the amount of time required. The time and complexity the procedures affects the surgeon's fee, and the cost for the operating room and anesthesia. Ballpark estimates for procedures can be found online, but you won't be able to have an exact price until you have consultation in person. Sometimes combining procedures, such as implant removal and a lift, provides a discount compared to having the procedures performed separately.

Breast implant removal

You will want to wait 3-6 months after cessation of breastfeeding to proceed with surgery.  The pain from the capsular contracture is difficult to treat as medications can be passed through to the breast milk.  It is best to speak with your OB/Gyn about which medications are safe to take.  The cost will vary based on the extent of the lift needed.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area once you are closer to a potential surgery date.

Camille Cash, MD

Planning implant removal and lift

Thank you for asking about your implant removal and lift.

• I am sorry you are in pain -
  • As long as you are breast feeding, almost any medicine will pose problems.
  • If the pain is severe and you have saline implants, depending on how engorged your breasts are, you might be able to have them deflated as a temporary pain-relieving measure before removal and lift.
  • Otherwise you want to wait at least three months after breast feeding before having surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

I am sorry to hear about the complications you are experiencing.  Generally, I suggest that you wait 3 to 6 months after you have completed breast-feeding (unless pain is a significant factor in the decision making),  in order to avoid postoperative complications such as fluid accumulation.  As you know, your current pain control is complicated given the fact that you are breast-feeding.

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. Factors such as the specific operation plan, the specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast implantt removal surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more.