Normal ear hole (by piercing gun) closure, best method for minimal scarring? (Photo)

Hello, I got my ears pierced by a piercing gun when I was little. I noticed that one hole is higher than the other which bothers me a lot and I would like to close both completely. The holes are still slightly red and I there are little bumps when I touch the holes in my earlobes. What is the best method to close them with minimal scarring? What kind of scar can I expect and is there a good post treatment for it? Will I also get rid of these bumps and what are they? Thank you for your help!

Doctor Answers 2

Ear piercing repair

The best way to repair your piercing holes is to carefully remove the skin along the edges of the hole and then close the areas with suture.  Each hole would only require a couple of sutures each. The scar will be minimal and will be a very short line instead of the round hole that you see.  This procedure can be done with local anesthetic in a surgeon's office.

If you have any residual scar, a good easy way to help flatten the area is gentle massage.  After the skin has healed, and the sutures have been removed, you may gently massage the area with your fingers. This helps flatten out the scar a bit more quickly.

Six weeks after the areas have healed, you can have your ears re-pierced.

Best of luck.

Reno Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Earlobe repair

You would likely do best with an earlobe repair, which involves surgically removing and closing up the old piercings.  The earlobes can then be re-pierced in a more desirable location.  The resulting scars from these procedures are usually quite satisfactory.  I'm not sure what the cause of your bumps are, but they may represent old scar tissue or an inflammatory reaction to certain metals in earrings.  
Earlobe repairs are commonly done by dermatologists, ENT doctors, and plastic surgeons under local anesthesia in the office.  Schedule a consultation with one of these physicians to discuss your options.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.