Breasts are 36J. Can I Have Another Reduction?

My Breasts Are Size 36 J I Have Had a Reduction Before 7 Years Ago Can I Have Another Reduction

Breast Reduction - Revision, Size, Can It Be Done?

HI London e15 in London e15 1re,

The answer is  - probably!  I can't say anything for sure without being able to examine you but, in general, it is possible to revise or redo breast reductions and/or lifts at some point in the future.  That's not a guarantee, but it is worth exploring.

That's particularly the case if your breasts have continued to grow since your surgery.  Depending on what age at which you had your surgery.  Breasts often do not complete their growth until some women are in their twenties and if you've put on a significant amount of weight, for whatever reason, your breasts may, similarly have grown after surgery.

However, ideally, you should try to find out what TYPE of surgery you had.  If you wait long enough, blood vessels may regrow into and around the nipples and areolas.  But it's hard to know for sure.  And if you were to redo the procedure too early, before the blood flow has had a change to reorient, then you risk impairing the blood supply to the degree that you may have wound healing problems, up to and including the loss of tissue, skin, and the nipple and areola itself.

Try to find out what pedicle was used for the first procedure (typically superior, inferior, etc).  This indicates which part of the breast tissue was left attached to the nipple and areola as the breast was lifted and reduced.  Ideally, you would not want to do the first procedure one way, and the second a different way.

So - try to find out how it was done and then take the reports with you to your plastic surgeon so that he/she can plan the procedure appropriately.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Repeat Breast Reductions Can Be Safely Done

Having a prior breast reduction makes the consideration of a second one easy. The breasts already have existing scars which can simply be re-used in a second procedure. There would be no additional scars, only new ones which replace the old ones. You would be expected to have a similar experience with just as much improvement in size and symptoms as the first time. While it is not common for women to need a repeat breast reduction, I have seen and done a few over the years. All have done well and achieved a better breast size.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Repeat breast reduction

Yes, you can have another breast reduction.  I have many patients who have had previous breast reductions in their youth and subsequently had their breast grow again.  If possible, try to get a copy of your first operative report to take to your next PS.  This will help i planning your repeat breast reduction.  Good luck.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Repeat Breast Reduction

Yes, in general it is possible to do a second breast reduction. The choices for incisions and surgical approach will be limited by the technique utilized with the first breast reduction, but it can be done.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Re-do Breast Reduction

Based on your description you may be an excellent candidate for redo breast reduction surgery.

One of the concerns  when breast reduction is performed is related to blood flow to the remaining breast tissue; it is important to perform the operation in such a fashion that the blood flow to the nipple/areola/breast tissue is not compromised.   The  part of the tissue that is left in place  after breast reduction surgery is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola/ breast tissue. If the pedicle (that was used during the previous breast reduction procedure)  is cut  then the blood flow to tissues may be compromised leading to serious competitions such as tissue necrosis etc.

When repeat breast reduction surgery is performed it is important not to compromise the pedicle  that was developed in the previous breast reduction procedure.It may be helpful for you to find the previous surgeon's  operative report  prior to the redo surgery.

I hope this helps

J cup secondary breast reduction

I have never seen a patient return after reduction surgery with J cup breasts so my question would be: what did you weigh at the of the surgery and what is your weight now?  Breast size can be reduced and a J is so substantial that many insurance companies would approve the operation but I would like to know your original size, your size post-operatively and the reason for the increase.  If it is not associated with a significant weight gain, an endocrinological consultation may be appropriate before a decision for surgery is made to rule out other etiologies for the post-op size increase.  I am sure that you are experiencing significant discomfort from the weight of the breasts and that a second breast reduction would alleviate your musculoskeletal complaints.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

Another Breast Reduction Surgery

Yes, usually you can have another reduction. Your surgeon will have to examine your breasts and plan your surgery around your old incisions and decide if you will require nipple areolar grafting. Ideally you are no more than 20 pounds over your ideal weight in order to maintain long lasting results.

Carlin Vickery, MD

Breast reduction

Yes, you can repeat a breast reduction. Even after one, your breasts may still increase in size or can if you put on weight. The scars are already there and you know what to expect. Watch my video!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Redo breast reduction

If your breasts are that large, it is certainly possible to have a second reduction. There are slightly increased risks involved, but it can be done.

It is not only possible but may only require Liposuction to accomplish the Reduction

Yes, it is definitely possible to reduce ones breast size by a second Breast Reduction surgery should you regain additional breast size after a first Breast Reduction. I have found that many patients contemplating a second reduction come to me with the nipple complex still in a good position from their first surgery. This fact allows for the possibility of performing the reduction via Liposuction alone avoiding the need for a formal reduction surgery. Ask your surgeon if this opportunity exists for yourself. If so, it will reduce your overall recovery and limit your chances for complications.

David A. Ross, MD (retired)