Breast Implants and Tummy Tuck with SLE

I have SLE I want to get both a tummy tuck and breast implants with the implants I want silicone. Is there a greater risk for a person in my condition to get this type of surgeries? My doctors want me to do them separate, do you think if I chose one over the other it will affect the look I want.

SLE Significantly raises the potential Complications of Tummy Tuck

Systemic Lupus Eythematosus (SLE) is a systemic autoimmune disease of variable intensity which can significantly effect immunity and healing. Most Plastic surgeons would decline to perform a cosmetic operation such as a Tummy Tuck on an SLE patient owing to such serious potential complications. This holds true as well to breast Augmentation, especially with gel implants.

Lupus as a risk factor in surgery

With SLE you are at greater risk for all surgery not just cosmetic. Before any surgery make sure you have a thorough medical clearance include a cardiovascular assessment. SLE can cause hidden problems due to vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels).

Aaron Stone, MD