Surgery Only Solution for Addressing Breast Shape?

I'm 22 years old and I'm happy with my breast size and shape when my nipples are "erect" or when cold. But when its not, my areola is quite large, my nipple itself has no definition, and my breasts are is "elongated" and they lose the round shape. This makes me verry sad and unhappy especially in intimate moments. And I have a few small light stretch marks but that is not such a big deal. What can I do? Is surgery only option to be happy with my breast shape? Thank you for your time.

Doctor Answers 4

Breast shape

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without examining you it is difficult to offer too much advice. But, if you are concerned about shape the only real thing would be surgery. I would avoid injecting any foreign products into the breast to improve shape.

Breast Shaping

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Ann SA, There is a non-surgical approach available in Europe using a filler called Macrolane to add volume to the breast. The areolar size can only be reduced with surgery. There are many options for shaping the breast- from surgical lifting, augmentation to fat grafting. The only way for you to know your options is to have a consultation.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Breast is a complex structure and different options are available for treatment of undesirable shape

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many different factors that influence the breast shape and include:

  1. underlying skeleton (chest and rib cage)
  2. muscles
  3. breast gland (parenchymal distribution and ligaments)
  4. skin
  5. fat content
  6. nipple and areola configuration

It would be best to discuss the relative roles these factors play in your particular condition. Depending on what needs treatment, a variety of options are available which may or may not meet with your goals.

You need a consultation with a plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is a little difficult to know what it is you would like to change about your breasts without the benefit of meeting with you and examining you. If you want to make a change in your breasts, surgery is the only current option without relying on changes that occur with weight changes or pregnancy, etc. Visit a local board-certified plastic surgeon and they shuould be able to review all of your options with you. Take care.

Dr Edwards

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.