5 Weeks Post-Op Breast Augmentation Both Breasts Look Very Different, Options?

I had a lift mastopexy with implants on 7/27/11 to 350CC. Anyway, my right breast was completely "dropped" the day I came home as the left is still high 5 weeks post op. I'm fearing my left breast has malposition/bottoming out. And the left one may have capsular Contraction...I selected my surgeon because he is reputable, etc. My right breast is lower than my left and I look like I have two different breast.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

Gonna have to wait at least 6 months to see how things settle, I think the results at this point look great and I think it will balance in time

Breast Enhancement Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Asymmetry of breasts

Hi,

Your pictures show your left breast lower but I assume that you took the pic in the mirror so your description of the right lower fits.

Mastopexy with implants is a difficult operation because you have so many variables going on at once.  It is not uncommon to get some unevenness and revision surgery might be necessary.  Your P.S.  will probably suggest that you wait at least 6 months or more to determine if you need any touch-ups but be patient and stay close to your doctor. 

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.  Albany, New York

Asymmetry of breasts

Hi,

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.  Albany, New York

Asymmetry after Breast Lift w/ Implants

When you do implants with a lift at the same time it's harder to get exact positioning.  In your case I would usually let it heal for about 6 months and then with a small operation you can improve the size and positioning. 

Asymmetry after Breast Lift w/ Implants

After augmentation, breasts look different

Your breasts were most probably different in their tissue content before the surgery. Give it more time, but then definitely communicate your concerns to your surgeon.

William D. Merkel, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

William D. Merkel, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry After Augmentation

You are still fairly early in the recovery process. It is normal that both implants do not behave the same way early on as one may drop more quickly than the other, have more or less swelling and so on. It is hard to advise you on symmetry without "before" pictures and a physical exam but I would suggest that you be patientuntil you are 3-6 months out from your surgery. By that time you will have a pretty good idea of your final result. Regarding capsular contracture, it is possible to have one this early but a physical exam by your surgeon is the way to make this diagnosis. And on a final note, these are all complications that can happen with a good and "reputable" plastic surgeon.

Breast Asymmetry After Augmentation

Breast asymmetry

Although your concern is completely understandable, patience is critical at this point in your recovery. You will find that the breasts  will change over the next few months. Hopefully, these changes will result in improved symmetry.

I am glad you're working with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon. However, even in the best of hands, some breast asymmetry is the rule not the exception after breast augmentation/mastopexy surgery. If the asymmetry is significant enough you will benefit from revisionary surgery many months/year after your initial operation.

Breast asymmetry

Breast lift asymmetry

It is always nice to see pre-op photos as well. Everyone is somewhat asymmetric to start with. The breast folds are different, the width is different, the areola is different, and the volume is also different.  Certainly an attempt is made to try to make them perfectly symmetrical but sometimes identical twins can not be obtained.  In fact, most of the time we get sisters, and occasionally they can look like cousins.  Give it time to heal and then be re-evaluated by your surgeon, sometimes small adjustments can be made to correct osme of your concerns.

Breast lift asymmetry

Complete symmetry may not be possible

It may not be possible to obtain exact symmetry of your breasts.  They might have looked different before you had your breast implants and mastopexy.  Your surgeon may have gotten the best results that were possible under the circumstances.  It is difficult or impossible to say without seeing before and after pictures of you and an examination in person.  You may wish to consult another board certified plastic surgeon for an opinion in person.  I recommend consulting the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

Complete symmetry may not be possible

Asymetry

i would love to see preop pictures.  how different were they ahead of time?  at this point would wait 6 months from the time of surgery and reevaluate the situation with your surgeon

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Asymetry

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry...

The difference in your breasts is apparent but really difficult to critically evaluate from the photos you submitted.  Ordinarily, it's unlikely for capsules or 'bottoming-out' to be an issue so soon after your original procedure...although anything is possible!  You said that some of these issues were apparent immediately after your procedure so I'd say more than likely that some of what you're seeing is simply the result your surgeon achieved for you.  That said, it's difficult to assess especially without knowing where you started.  If you had some of these differences pre-operatively then there's only so much correction possible by just inserting an implant.  Feel free to submit additional photos. Good Luck!  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Asymmetry...