I noticed a big (about the size of half a match box) hard tender and painfull lump on the left side of my breast, what could it be.
I had a breast reductions in july 23 2013, about 4 months ago?
Doctor Answers 2
4 Months After Reduction Mammoplasty and Now A Firm Tender Mass Has Appeared
This is common occurrence after breast reduction surgery. It is most commonly due to:
- A reduction in swelling after surgery and the mass that was there has revealed itself
- An area of fat necrosis that will reduce with time
My recommendations would be:
- Have your surgeon measure the mass and then examine it again 3 months later. It will usually reduce in size.
- If the mass does not reduce then a ultrasound can give a more definitive suggestion of what it might be. Cyst vs. Fat Necrosis
- If all of above are not helpful and the mass does not reduce in size after 5 months, then a removal of the mass may be in order.
Hard lump after breast reduction
Any breast lump should be carefully evaluated. In general after surgery, they are commonly scar tissue, or inclusion cysts, or fat necrosis to name a few.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.