Breast Reduction. Presently a 36DDD, 150LBS, 5'7. What Size Will I Be?

My PS has suggested a 400 cc removal for insurance purposes. 

Breast Reduction Cup Size

The breast reduction patients are highly satisfied with their new bra size.  Patients that qualify for breast reduction have a DD cup or greater and significant musculoskeletal pain that has not resolved with nonoperative treatment.  Each insurance company  has different guidelines for the resection weight.  Typically, patients under 130 pounds: 400 grams per breast, patients under 200 pounds: 500 grams, and patients over 200 pounds: 600 grams.  Some insurance companies use the Schnur Sliding Scale which calculates the weight on body surface area and tends to be tougher.  Since the weight of the breast tissue removed is critical to insurance coverage, I try to determine the weight of the breast during consultation and show before and after photographs of patients with similar starting points.  When you review the before and after photographs, point out your favorites and ask how many grams were removed.  Pay attention to the appearance of the abdomen since your proportions will change after breast reduction.  Best wishes for relief and a perfect cup.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

Breast Reduction is a complicated procedure that is best done by those with the most training and experience. It is very difficult to determine the resultant cup size and shape based solely on the number of grams that are removed from your breast to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast reduction and lift surgeries, including different approaches, techniques and even fat transfer and implant choices if you are lacking superior breast fullness.
This is because several measurements—not to mention breast characteristics such as density—are needed to determine how much and where to remove breast tissue to meet your goals. Without knowing your existing breast shape, dimensions, and the density of your breast tissue, it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the same volume of breast tissue will weigh different amounts (measured in ounces or grams) in different people depending on its density. The existing base width of your breast and what you will ultimately want to look like will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume and weight that will need to be removed for the best result.

Please click on the link below for more information!

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

New Alternative for Breast Reduction

At size 36 each 200 grams will correspond to 1 cup size change.  If you remove 400 grams you will go down to a size D.  However, you have not provided any photographs.  A D may look disproportionate to you and you may not be satisfied.  Insurance companies do require a certain amount removed or you have to pay for it yourself.  The reason most people want a breast reduction is because of neck, back and shoulder pain or rashes.  It is possible to relieve the symptoms without reducing you 400 grams.  There are new techniques called The Ultimate Breast Lift and The Ultimate Breast Reduction, Which tranposes your breast weight to the underlying muscle and eliminates the pain.  This is all done without a vertical incision and avoid the ugly boat anchor shaped scar (Wise pattern) that was developed in 1956.  If you want to be happy you will have to pay for it yourself.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

A 400 cc removal of breast tissue will certainly be a reasonable size to remove for many patients. An exam in person would give a better appreciation for the final size and wether or not this volume removal is possible.

Cup size after breast reduction surgery

This is a common question whether you are having a breast reduction or an implant surgery. Cup size, however, are not very consistent. The same person can wear different cup sizes based on the store and/or brand they purchase. That is why it is difficult to determine exactly what cup size you will be after surgery. The weight of the tissue removed is measured in grams typically and has no relationship to cup size. Being proportionate after having a breast reduction is key. Breast reduction patients are the happiest patients because they get immediate relief from their back and neck pain as well as getting a better shaped and lifted breast appearance. Discuss your desires and expectations with your surgeon and make sure you have a realistic view of where you will be postop.

Breast Cup Size after Breast Reduction?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 
With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

My suggestion to my patients generally is to reduce breast tissue enough to help alleviate symptoms they are experiencing while preserving enough breast tissue to maintain the proportionality of the upper and lower body nicely.  If these  goals are achieved,  the actual breast cup size achieved is  somewhat irrelevant.

400 cc Breast Reduction

Without a proper exam it's impossible to tell you exactly what size you will be with a 400cc reduction. However, in general, a 200cc reduction in breast tissue will approximately give someone who wears a 36 bra, a 1 cup drop in size. So, with a 400cc reduction, you may get a 2 cup drop in size.

Thanks for your question. Best of luck with your surgery!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD