Asymmetry After Breast Reduction

I had a breat reduction in Nov, 2010 and I ended up getting a bad infection, my scars are very thick, red and sore my doctor said it was normal. My question is, one breat is a whole cup size larger than the other and I am not happy. My docotr said it happens and that not everyones breasts are the same size. Any advice on what I should do? My insurance covered my procedure but they won't cover a second one, and I don't have the money to get it fixed. But I feel I should be happy with them.

Asymmetry after breast reduction

Some asymmetry immediately after breast reduction is common and may be due to differences in swelling, especially if one side had healing complicated by infection. This may take several months to resolve

If the asymmetry persists after swelling has diminished then you should visit your surgeon again and explore possible options . If your insurance company denies your request for revision, you should appeal that denial and stress that the problem is due to a post op complication from the original surgery. Most surgeons will do everything possible to help a patient with a less than optimal outcome.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Complication Correction is Covered by Insurance.

I am sorry you had these problems.  Infections happen, that is true.  It is your doctor responsibility to care for you and help resolve the consequences of an infection.  Cup size shoud end up very similar.  Bad scars can be improbed with many many techniques.  Insurance WILL cover the consequesces of surgical complications.  Go back and talk at LENGTH with  your doctor.  You need to get a plan of correction.  It is possible.   Good Luck.

Asymmetry after Breast Reduction?

Thank you for the question. I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced after breast reduction surgery. Generally, plastic surgeons wish to see their patients as happy as possible after surgery. I would suggest that you continue to communicate  your questions and concerns with your plastic surgeon as calmly as possible. it is possible that,  with some persistence on your part,  that revisionary breast reduction surgery will be covered through the insurance plan. Best wishes.

Breast Reduction - Complications, Healing, Discomfort, Asymmetry

Hi AshCurtin in Chicago, IL,

I'm obviously very sorry for the problems you've had.

There are, of course, risks with all surgical procedures, and among the known complications of breast reductions are infection, scarring, and resultant asymmetry.  That being said, it's always unfortunate to have a result such as you've described.

However, it may be possible to make your results much more even and to improve the appearance of the scars and the breasts.  In general, that would involve a slight reduction of the larger one, and removal of the scars on the side that has the thickened scars.  That procedure is called a scar revision, and involves removing the existing scars and reapproximating (realigning) the tissues with the hope and intent that they will heal better than the first time around.  That is usually the case though there are, again, no guarantees.

Covering the costs for a procedure like this is a more complicated issue.  Insurance may cover the procedure, or the surgeon may be able to arrange to have it done at significantly reduced prices.

I feel that this should be covered by insurance, since it is a complication of a surgical procedure.  It's too bad that it doesn't matter how I feel.  But you should do everything you can to submit the procedure to the insurance company for approval (BEFORE it's done) and, if necessary, demand an appeal.  Have your plastic surgeon help with photos and letters and, as indicated, contacting the insurance company directly to try to get this done.  Hopefully, you will.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Asymmetry can be helped

Your best chance of symmetry is when your breasts look symmetrical while sitting up at the end of the procedure.  Your surgery is still relatively recent.  It is not unusual to have one side more swollen than the other for some time.  I try to wait on any revisions for 6 months.  It is amazing how many will resolve in that time period.  If it doesn't, liposuction on the larger side is the simplest way to achieve symmetry. This will however require another procedure.  You would have to check with your insurance company to see if that would be covered.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and persistent asymmetry: options for correction;.

It is possible that you could undergo liposuction of the larger breast as a minimally invasive technique to lessen the breast discrepancy but I would wait at least 9 months after the initial procedure.

Breast assymetry after breast reduction

It is very common for breasts to be assymetrical after breast reduction.  Breasts also undergo alot of changes over the course of a year after a breast reduction.  Therefore, your breasts will likely continue to evolve so be careful to make big decisions during this time.  I would maintain a close relationship with your plastic surgeon throughout this time.

Chad Douglas Tattini, MD
Bloomington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Reduction

Without pre- and post-operative photos or examining you in person, it is difficult to give you specific advice.  While minor asymmetry is to be expected, a whole cup size difference should be corrected.  Is the side that had the infection the smaller or larger side now?  If you are just looking for a minor volume reduction in the larger breast, it may be possible to use a liposuction technique to remove volume from that breast without having to have more extensive surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Asymmetry after breast reduction

Your doctor is right in that most will have breast asymmetry before breast reduction and a degree of asymmetry after the procedure. Infection could have contributed, and it will take a year or more for the scars to quiet down. When you have healed fully, an insurance appeal could be worth a try as scar revisions and perhaps liposuction of the larger breast could be something to even out your result.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast reduction results

It seems like you have two issues: Scars and a difference in breast size.

The scars can first be treated without surgery. Ask your surgeon if silicone gel sheets and low dose steroid injections into the scars would be right for you. Time will help also. It takes up to 1-2 years for the scars to improve.

The difference in breast size may improve over time if the infection caused more swelling on one side. In some cases, a revision in the office may be possible to make the breast a little smaller.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS