Breast Reduction 2 Years Ago and One Breast is Noticeably Larger Than the Other. What Do I Do?

I had breast reduction surgery two years ago and one breast is larger than the other. The surgeon told me to give it time to see what happens. It remains the same. They have also keloided. What should I do?

Doctor Answers 2

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Reduction?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

I  would suggest follow-up with your plastic surgeon to express your questions and concerns. If you continue to disagree about the degree of asymmetry  a second opinion with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon may be helpful.

If revisionary surgery is  decided upon much attention should be paid to the blood flow to the remaining breast tissue;  is important to perform the operation in such a fashion that the blood flow to the nipple/areola/breast tissue not be compromised.   The  part of the tissue that is left in place  after breast reduction surgery is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola/ breast tissue. If the pedicle (that was used during the previous breast reduction procedure)  is cut  then the blood flow to tissues may be compromised leading to serious competitions such as tissue necrosis etc.

It will be helpful for you to find the previous surgeon's  operative report  prior to the redo surgery ( if you choose to go with another  surgeon).

I hope this helps.

Postoperative breast reduction asymmetry can be corrected

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are still asymmetrical, I doubt that you will improve after 2 years.  Revision is possible but is trickier than primary breast reduction because the breast circulation was changed by the first surgery--especially the circulation to the nipple-areolar complex.

Find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon whom you trust.  Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.