I Have Had Breast Reduction Surgery, and Was Not Told to Wear a Compression Vest?

Hey all, I had surgery to to remove fatty tissue from underneath my nipple (as I suffer from gynecomastia). I was not told to wear a compression vest immediately after the surgery, and have only since found out (through my own research) that I must wear one, It has now been 2 and a half days since my surgery - will this effect the outcome? NB: I am now wearing a compression vest, but is it too little too late? :(

The Use of a Compression Garment after Gynecomastia Surgery

We require our #patients to wear a compression garment for the a few weeks following their #Gynecomastia surgery. The #compression garment helps to reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.We recommend it not be removed, at all, until the second or third day after the surgery. After that, we suggest they feel free to temporarily remove the #garment for showering or laundering only. We encourage our patients to maintain circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but they may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.

However, each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. Your board-certified surgeon will recommend the use of the garment, or not, depending on your individual case and surgical procedure. Therefore, if you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Compression garment

I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction male breast reduction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.
Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia Reduction) by liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:
  1. it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

Follow your surgeon's instructions

It's best to listen to your surgeon. I generally recommend patients wear a support garment for 6 weeks - night and day for the first three weeks, and then during the day for another three weeks. 

The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery

The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery depends upon how much work was done and the degree of redundant breast tissue and skin that you have. This is a question best answered by your plastic surgeon.

Gynecomastia and compression garments

The general standard is of course to wear a compression garment as you have already heard. There is simply no good reason not to. It keeps down the swelling and bruising. It is also a good idea to keep ice packs on for a day or two under the compression garment. It dramatically cuts down on pain and the ice causes the blood vessels temporarily shrink up so once again less bleeding and bruising. I myself asked patients to wear the compression for about two weeks except for showering.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery and bra?

Every surgeon is a bit different in terms of  what type of post-op garment a patient should wear. Some do not even use a bra.